1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Low Tension Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Stu Rose, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Greetings,

I have used TI Jazz rounds for years on various basses and love them. I put them on a new J bass and neck moved a lot. Seems like very low tension to cause that movement, I also had a hard time setting the neck relief for the TIs.

Put on a set of Elixir Lights 45,65,80,100 the neck was fine however too much tension for my liking but they sound great.

I also have a set of Elixirs Medium on my P and 44-02 Lakland and have no issues with the tension.

I can't figure out the problem. :rollno:

Main Question; is there any other low tension strings you all can recommend but not as low as the TI Jazz.

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    43-89 TI rounds bowed your neck but 45-100 elixers didn't?

3. markanini

markanini

Jun 25, 2008
    I use 105-75-55-40 Fedoras and it works well for me on a narrow necked Hohner.

4. Yes it released tension on the neck and it was hard to make it straight again with the truss rod, so I put on the Elixirs and the neck was pretty good. The Elixirs have a lot more tension even though the gauges are not that much different.

I called the Maker and he said I should be able to use even light strings and adjust the neck relief but I didn't try again.

5. DR Sunbeams are probably the best low tension strings. They are roundcore actually, the tension is normal but have more flexibility

6. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    just down-tune a half-step! works great with Dunlops. ;)

7. Ok I will try a set.

8. Put on a set of Sunbeams and prefer the TI Jazz but still having trouble with the neck relief with the TI's.

The Sunbeam work fine, the neck set up is OK because they do have more tension then the TI's.

The TI Jazz to me sound more focused maybe not as open on the E string but more focused.

9. srayb

srayb

Oct 27, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Detuned a full_step sounds and feels great with D'Addarios (DGCF).