1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lower Back Pains

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by cnl83, Apr 10, 2009.

1. cnl83

cnl83

Jan 30, 2007
    Ok, I been going to the chiropractor for Lower Back Pains. I seem to think its from playing bass. I play about an hour every day, and sometimes 3 hours. I sit and stand. When I sit I practice good posture, I do back stretches and all kinds of BS. Does anyone have this problem? Would a bigger better strap help? I have the cheapo depot straps.

p.s. I have been playing bass for about 3 years

:atoz:

2. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    Big padded WIDE strap for standing helps...but I get back pain from hunching over the fretboard while seated and I'm only 24.

3. cnl83

cnl83

Jan 30, 2007
    Im 25,

4. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    A good wide strap would help to distribute the weight better. The height at which you wear your bass could be a contributing factor also.

5. cnl83

cnl83

Jan 30, 2007
    http://www.youtube.com/user/cnlnet
    You can see in the video on the main page, how high I hold my bass. The video shows me with poor posture, but I stand straight up now as much as possible.

6. When I was 25 I ruptured three discs in my lower back, causing a lifetime of chronic pain and limited activity. Chiropracters are nice, but you don't know if you have real problems without seeing an MD, getting MRIs, or CAT scans and maybe doing a couple of neurological tests. I'd start with my regular Dr., but then think about seeing an Orthopedist to see if there are causes for this besides playing the bass. At the very least, an orthopedist will give you some exercises to increase your core strength which will help prevent lower back fatigue while you play.

Don't wait. Pain is your body's way of telling you something's wrong. I know you're only 25 and you think you're immortal and all, but I did too. I didn't do anything about it then, and now on my best days I'm lucky if I can feel my legs.

Peace

7. cnl83

cnl83

Jan 30, 2007
    I have been to my MD several times. I have taken all sorts of test, X-Rays ect. I even goto the Gym pretty regular, do abdominal workouts, and reverse situps ect.

8. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    How much does your bass weigh?

I used to think that a heavy bass (like mahogany or somesuch) contributed to a desirable tone (more fundamental, sustain etc...) but experience has shown that wood has much less to do with it than the other factors.

My boutique JBass copy clocks in a 7.5 lbs. That plus a Comfort Strap and I never have a problem.

9. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    ^

I didn't take into account weight when I bought my Conklin GT-5...the thing weighs a ton...Oak.

Next bass is going to be much lighter...I picked up a Spector 5 the other day at the store and it must have weighed half of what my GT does.

10. powerbass

powerbass Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2006
    western MA
    It's good you saw your MD and had diagnostic tests. If you are seeing a chiro and the only treatment is passive: spinal adjustments, heat, massage, electrical stim etc, then the treatment is not working. Going to the gym and working out is not the same thing as a specific exercises routine designed to correct faulty muscle function, poor posture or to stabilize your spine. In fact your exercise routine may even be part of the problem. IMHO I would find the best sports medicine physical therapy clinic in your region and get an evaluation/treatment plan from them.

11. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Here's what I would do:

Stop playing your bass for a week or two. If your back gets better, it's the bass. If not, go back to the M.D. and report.

It's also good to keep a daily journal to track what you eat, your sleep, medications, your pain, etc. Look for any patterns.

You might try drinking 8 glasses of water per day for a few days to see if that help. Or changing your diet to a very simple one (low salt and low carb) for a week or two.
    If you're not hydrated, sometime your kidneys will hurt.

Are you sleeping a an old mattress? Week mattress springs may not be supporting you enough while you sleep.

You really can't keep doing the same things and expect to get better.
    YMMV.