1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

lower tuning

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BIG MONTANA, Apr 19, 2006.

1. BIG MONTANA

BIG MONTANA

Apr 21, 2005
    north dakota
    Hey guys...I'm fairly young and have been playing bass for a year or two, but have never ventured any lower than drop d tuning on my "e" string. I play a Squier Affinity Jazz Bass, and am wondering how to tune down to, for an example, Slipknot's tuning (not sure what tuning they are in). I have Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky roundwound strings (45 64 85 105). Can I get down to, for example again, Slipknot's tuning with the bass I have? Can get down to their tuning with the strings I have? I feel sort of like a novice player for asking questions such as these, but I am oblivious as to how to get such lower tuning. Please help and don't laugh at me;) THANKS

2. OneArmedScissor

OneArmedScissor

Feb 23, 2006
    I currently tune to drop C (C G C F) and I would really not recommend you go this low with that gauge of strings. If you want to go this low you should get at least a 115 gauge e string because they are really really floppy when tuned to C.

If you wanna play lower notes I'd suggest looking into a 5 string. So much easier to play.

3. Hey!

I can't really help you with how to drop so it's not all sloppy, but getting a 5 string might be a good idea.

Also, I've got a Slipknot tab at home (song is "Wait and Bleed") and according to that tab, the bass is dropped to B-F#-B-E, so it's even lower then drop C.

Anyway, good luck with that!

4. soontobedead

soontobedead

Jul 14, 2005
    get a tuner, some THICK strings (or a 5-string) and the info on the correct tuning... that'll get you by

5. The other thing that I know a few guys do is to string up a four stringer with the lowest four strings from a standard five set (B-E-A-D). This means that you can play much lower notes but still have good tension in the strings. Of course the down side is that you need to restring if you want to go back to normal (E-A-D-G). It's something to try though.

Cheers

6. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Slipknot have 2 different tunings. They do drop C# and Drop B...

I was in a band that played drop c#... I would tune my 4 string to the guitar player and when he was in standard tuning (dropped DGCFAD), I had my 5 string tuned to ADGCF.

My recommendations would be to get much heavier strings. For drop c# on my Thumb bass, the 115 gauge GHS strings worked amazing! They are a little heavier on every string comparable to stock, but it came with a 115 low E string so dropped tuning was massive. Also you will need to do some setup stuff if you want to REALLY make it sound decent.

Look into raising your action / string height
    intonation
    truss rod adjustment

or take it to a pro if you plan on having you bass tuned to this for a while

7. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    For anything below dropped D I'd definitely recommend using a different bass strung with a much thicker gauge of strings, and considering how low you want to go I'd probably go with either a 5 string or the BEAD of a 5 string of a 4 string.