Lowering nut slots

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Easy Rider, Jan 31, 2004.

1. I've done some searching on action, and came to the conclusion that the nut slots on my bass are waaay to high (they're about 2 mm up from the FB) and so I found what's killing my left wrist. So I'm going to get me the tools and lower those slots. But, there are some questions.

Now, a 'business card' is the thick paper kind, right?
    In bassguitar-land (where I have resided the most up until now) people always talk in 'credit cards', but those are twice as thick as business cards, so I'm a bit confused and I want to get this right.

My other concern is the fact that the fingerboard still needs dressing (saving up for that as we type), so is it ok to lower my nut slots before the dressing?
    I figured the nut would just be lowered even more after a dressing, so no harm would be done right?
    And should I keep the slots slightly higher (say two business cards instead of one) until the dressing, to prevent buzz?

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    The luthier will correct the nut when he planes the board. Why risk goofing it up when a pro will look at it soon.

It isn't just a matter of height. If you get the grooves out of round or too wide, it can also cause problems. The luthier will have the perfect size file for each groove.
  3. I had my strings lowered a long time ago. Now my bass bar is sagging and the weather is messing with my action. It is far too low (I can't even get my E string to resonate properly ) so I have to get a new adjustable bridge and most likely a new nut. Don't make my mistake. It's cheaper to take off less now, and compensate for changes due to weather and age.
  4. Yeah, i'd wait til you get all your bread together. This can be like lowering the proverbial chair legs....you can end up with nothing left up there.
    When in doubt about any bass work, it's better to take it to the luthier!
  5. Ok, that's unanimous advice, I'll take it!
    I'll just have to live with the humungous action 'till I get it all fixed up. Then it'll be like taking off too-tight shoes, a heavenly feeling.
    I'll also keep my playing time shorter, to avoid wrist injury.

Allright, thanks!

6. Use the situation to your advantage and practice playing those half position notes in other positions, like up a fourth on a lower string.