Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

lowest string reps

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by kimstevens, Feb 27, 2005.

1. kimstevens

kimstevens

Nov 12, 2002
    Do you guys do anything different with your right hand technique
    when playing rapidly on the lowest string? I've been trying using my thumb as a sort of substitute for the motion-stopping strings that help when playing rest strokes on all but the lowest string, but I'm not yet sure that it will actually improve things in the long run.

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi Kim,

good question - the main thing that I do differently on the lower strings is that the lower I go, the further my hand moves towards the bridge - as I go across the strings, as the string gets higher, my hand moves towards the neck.

On the Lowest string, my thumb is normally planted against either of the pickups or the end of the neck, depending on the kind of sound I'm going for. Beyond that I don't do anything special...

cheers!

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

3. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Interesting question, Kim. I don't do anything to stop follow-through when playing on my lowest string, but it's something worth thinking about. Have you looked into Gary Willis' ramp?