1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

LR Baggs Para DI

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by presforlife, Sep 14, 2008.

1. I've been using the Baggs Para DI for 8 years or so,really like the sound but am thiking of trying the Fishman Platinum or even the Radial PZ Preamp.What I'm wondering is whether I'll be happy with the sound of the different units.The Baggs has a sweet sound but sometimes has issues with noise(could be cables "tho I tend to over-buy my gear) Your thoughts please. Bill Watson

2. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    What pickup are you using?

I use the Pro Platinum and recommend it highly. It's got a nice eq, compression you can actually use, hi-pass, phase switch, and can run on phantom power, battery or ac adapter. I like the overall sound quality also, and it's built like a tank.

3. TMacATK

TMacATK

Jul 9, 2008
    Davis, CA
    I've never had noise issues with the Para DI and never heard of anyone having noise issues. In my experience it's an extremely low noise unit.

4. I'm using The Realist Pickuup with the Clarus Amp,the noise I get is an intermittent crackling like RFI or something.It's not all of the time and might not happen for weeks but is very annoying when it occurs,I'll unplug the pre and go naked till the end of the set,real drag.

5. I had both at one time, and to me, in a side by side test, the Baggs sounded much clearer and more "open".

6. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Could it just be a bad cable maybe? Even expensive cables crap out eventually (don't they?).

Or a dirty input jack? I used to use a Caig DeoxIT product sparingly every 6 months or so on all my input jacks and cable ends but kind of just fell out of the habit of doing it.

7. Danho

Danho

Mar 2, 2005
    Columbus Ohio
    Hello! Sorry to go off topic a bit. I was considering trying the LR Baggs because of the notch filter.
    I have a lot of oppressively loud gigs that I’ve been using a magnetic pickup because of feedback. I would love to do these with my Rev-solo instead.
    In anyone’s opinion, would I have better luck with the Fishman or LR Baggs? I like the option of coloring the sound a bit, which leans me toward the Fishman, but getting rid of the feedback is paramount.

8. kwd

kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley
    I have an LR Baggs. I have tried the Fishman. The LRBaggs has a high pass filter but it's at a fixed frequency. The Fishman's HPF is variable. The LRBaggs is great for amplifying my mandolin. For bass I think the variable HPF is probably more important than the notch filter. If you really want a powerful feedback fighter, check out the D-Tar Equinox. With that unit you can adjust the width of the notch in addition to the level and center frequency. And, it gives you 2 notches. The Baggs was fine when I was using a Realist but it makes my bass sound like a tin can with a BassMax.

I now use an ART Instrument/Mic tube preamp.

9. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    It's not made anymore, but can be found used. Two fully parametric bands and an xlr DI. Phase switch , too. Sounds great, VERY useful.