1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

LSO

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by Rob Sleeper, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Rob Sleeper

Rob Sleeper

Oct 13, 2005
    Chicago
    Hey did you guys hear,

London symphony has auditions for principal double bass. Should be interesting.

Rob

2. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    Yeah it's been advertised for a while. Ibragimov is defeinately NOT leaving, i hear.

3. G-force

G-force

Jul 1, 2004
    oslo Norway
    Yeah that spot has been open for a LONG time. I auditioned for it in 1998!!!
    Haakon Ehren of sweden won the spot but turned it down.

4. Snakewood

Snakewood Guest

Dec 19, 2005
    so all this time ibragimov has just been acting principal?

5. G-force

G-force

Jul 1, 2004
    oslo Norway
    They have two princ. positions. So this would be for the other job.

6. Snakewood

Snakewood Guest

Dec 19, 2005
    When it says principal/co principal or principal/associate principal

does that mean they share the job with equal titles? and take turns doing solos?

7. G-force

G-force

Jul 1, 2004
    oslo Norway
    Hi, It can mean that they get paid the same BUT the princ has responibilities over the group in an adminstrative level. Here in oslo they take turns , one month on/off as 1st.

As for other places I can't really say. It may vary..

8. Snakewood

Snakewood Guest

Dec 19, 2005
    i like the approach of the shared role much more. Brings a section together more, gives a better idea of unity... vs the idea of leader and the section players

9. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005
    In Germany they have what they call Erster Solokontrabassist (I hope I got my German declinations properly), which is a "capo di tutti capi" (boss of all bosses).

Sometimes you might have several principals (Solokontrabassisten) and several co-principals (Vorspieler) with occasional principal duties, so they have an authority figure on top to create unity when it doesn't happen naturally.

10. Snakewood

Snakewood Guest

Dec 19, 2005
    I really like that idea of having multiple leadership. to be honest i dont know why n. america doesnt take up that approach.

very common in wiener phil to have multiple solo bassists correct?

11. The Los Angeles Philharmonic has two co-principals.

12. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005

Well, they do it because they can afford it, financially speaking. American orchestras have very tight budgets and it is cheaper to have just one principal. German and Austrian orchestras have financial problems of their own, but at a much smaller scale.
    Principals in the big former-west-German orchestras, like the Koeln or Muenchen orchestras, the principals don't just get extra pay, they also work a 50% load ! Talk about luxury !

It's not just "very common" in the Vienna philharmonic to have several principals, it is the way they have always worked. They don't always have several principals working at the same time in the same program though (maybe this was your question).

13. Snakewood

Snakewood Guest

Dec 19, 2005
    I found an interesting website that shows the current bassists of the Wiener Philharmoniker. Beside each member it says their title. My German is not very good, perhaps someone could decode the differences here. Two of the members are listed as Solo Kontrabass, and two other's were listed as "Kontrabass [Stimmfuhrer]", is that like an "assistant principal" sort of thing?

14. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005
    Stimmfuehrer is what they call in Germany Erster-Solokontrabassist, which is section leader.

15. Snakewood

Snakewood Guest

Dec 19, 2005
    so what's the difference between section leader and solo kontrabass? cause there are two section leaders and two solo bassists, i saw the solo bass sit as principal and the section leader sit as assistant when they were in toronto

16. G-force

G-force

Jul 1, 2004
    oslo Norway
    Isn't it that the solo player basically plays the solos and the other dude(ette) is the straight man and does the bowings, rotations etc??

17. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005
    Erster means: "first"
    Solo-kontrabassist means in practical terms: "principal bassist" (not "soloist" per se)

The "first" would then be the boss of bosses.

The Solokontrabassisten are just normal principals, they play their solos when they have to, lead the section, and put bowings.

The "Stimmfuehrer", or section leader, takes care of rotations, seatings, subs, and any paperwork that is needed (on top of his normal principal duties).

18. G-force

G-force

Jul 1, 2004
    oslo Norway
    Dr rod,
    Thanks for clearing that up. I've always wondered about that. really.
    G

19. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005
    My pleasure.