Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lush Life by JH

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by godoze, Mar 15, 2005.

1. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Man, I love Joe Henderson and I really love his solo version of "Lush Life."

That tone...oooh that tone...

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Yup. Onenna my faveritt rekkids.

3. bass_means_LOW

bass_means_LOW

Apr 12, 2004
    Las Vegas
    DZ, Imagine Joe teaching you his whole book-that was one great experience!
    He definitely had a distinctive style.
    My partner, Brooks G***s told me about when he was in this famous sax store in NYC when Mr Michael B*****r came in. I guess Mr Joe L****o had written out a 4 bar sax line on the chalk board the store has. He then signed his name, Joe L****o. Michael B*****r looked at the sax line written by Mr L****o on the board and said, "That's not Joe L****o, that's Joe Henderson!" Brooks was thinking, "How would Michael know!" Joe's been well studied by many.

4. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002

I can imagine ! But come on,sopranomeans high,you don't have to rub it in :)

5. bass_means_LOW

bass_means_LOW

Apr 12, 2004
    Las Vegas
    DZ, I guess you have a point. I remember Joe more than once commenting how important it was to 'do the homework.' Joe certainly had done his. My handle is a line from Lester Young. If a bassist were playing higher than Lester, he would turn around to the bassist and say, "Bass means low."
    OK, I'll keep the stories to myself. :)

6. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    NoNo, I was only kidding ! All in jest friend...

7. bass_means_LOW

bass_means_LOW

Apr 12, 2004
    Las Vegas
    It's all cool. Joe's tone-one phrase and you know it's Joe, very distinctive.