1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Luthier - Hamilton Ontario?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by flyingmarcel, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Hi Everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone knows a (reputable) luthier in or very near to Hamilton Ontario. I need to have a new bridge and adjusters fitted for my bass and am having a really hard time getting the bass in for work, as most shops are only open during normal 'business hours' while I'm at work. I work in Hamilton, so I'm hoping that I could find a shop in the area to drop off and pick up my bass and not have to take a day off work!

thanks in advance,

fm

2. Hello!

A short drive to Toronto to Heinl's. Steve does beautiful work.

Mark

3. Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply. I've actually had work done at Heinl's before, but with a drive of ~1.25 hours each way, it would mean taking at least a half day off work, not to mention coordinating the pick up of the bass (Heinl's is Monday to Friday 9-5 pretty much every day.)

I'm really hoping for someone in Hamilton, but have been unsuccessful in finding someone via the usual methods (yellow pages, internet). If it comes down it, I guess I'll be "Forced" to take a day off and make the drive down the 403 to Heinl's.

Anyone know of someone in the Hamilton/Dundas/Ancaster area?

thanks,

fm

4. Salut Marcel,
    I remember visiting the website of some fancy luthier in Ontario but can't recall the name. Plus it seems his site is poorly indexed... too bad. If I recall correctly, he had built a 6 stringer!
    Also, URBBOB lists a couple bass luthiers in Ontario his "luthier directory" (see urbbob.com).
    Good luck,
    Hugo

5. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Is Henry Reidstra anywhere near you?

Kitchener
    239 Victoria Street N
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada N2H 5C9
    Ph: 1-519-743-3838 Fax: 1-519-508-3000
    E-mail riedstra@orc.ca
    Hours: 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. Monday - Saturday

Stratford
    38 Neal Avenue
    Stratford, Ontario, Canada N5A 6W8
    Phone:1-519-273-4082 Fax: 1-519-743-4676
    E-mail riedstra@orc.ca
    Hours: By appointment only.
    9 a.m. - 9 p.m. Monday - Saturday

6. dblbss

dblbss

Sep 20, 2007
    Canada
    Have you tried Ludy Pollack?

I live in Hamilton and I've been using him for the last ten years. He lives on the west side of Toronto near High Park. If you avoid the rush hour you can get there in around 40 minutes.

If you are interested send me a private message and I'll get you his number, or you can check on Bob Gollihur's Luthier directory, his number is there somewhere.

7. Wouldn't trust Henry except for the simplest of repairs. He's done wierd things to my axe, and overcharges (Heinl rates).

8. Try John Doerr in Kitchener.
    Incredible craftsman who builds guitars, mandolins, fiddles and fixes basses....including mine when I dropped it and ripped the neck off.
    Send me a PM and I can pass on his phone number if you are still looking.