1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Luthier in Toronto needed for Fingerboard planing

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Dr Rod, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005
    Hi Everyone

I am looking for an exceptional fingerboard planing job in the Toronto area.
    I need to play solo literature so the strings need to be close to the fingerboard without buzzing. In my experience, for this type of job you usually need a luthier that has has classical double bass playing experience.

For reasons that I will not expand on, I would rather not go to Heinl's.

Any ideas?
    thanks

2. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Commercial User

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner: Bresque Basses, Sydney Basses and Cellos
    You could try Paul O'Connell. I'll PM you his email.

3. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005

thank you so much Matthew

4. Is Ludi Pollack still around? I know some people, including Don Thompson, like(d) him a lot... Just a thought, as I've never dealt with him directly...

5. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005
    Ludi is mostly doing rehairs.

Do you have Don Thompson 's contract information?

6. Jon Mush

Jon Mush

Jun 3, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB
    Zdzislaw Prochownik is in the GTA now as well since retiring. He may be a great resource.

7. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005
    ZP is my personal friend. Love the guy. But he doesn't want to do fingerboards. Thanks for the suggestion

Jon Mush likes this.
  8. I don't anymore, unfortunately. I only talked to him a few times a lot of years ago. He's not hard to find though, I'm sure. Maybe call the Toronto AF of M or just look him up.

9. byrdzeye

byrdzeye

Mar 28, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    Try Troy Milleker at Heinl Music on Church Street: 416-363-0093. He did a very good job dressing the fingerboard of my bass a year or so ago.
    Still plays very well.