1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Luthier Recommendation in LA

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by LouisF, Apr 9, 2006.

1. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    In addition to Lisa Gass, Gary Stein and Jon Peterson in LA,
    I've come across Nick Roubas - a violin maker who does excellent repair work. He did some small repairs on a bass of mine two years ago and is a more substantial job on a bass now. I highly recommend him (along with the others above).
    You can see his work at www.violuthier.com

Louis

2. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hi Louis,

Thanks for that info. Both Jon and even Lisa are a bit of a treck from the SF Valley, but their excellent work has been worth it. I pass by Nick's premises most days on the way to Hollywood, so this looks to be a valuable resource.

Perhaps you could persuade Nick to join this forum. Let us know how the repairs on your bass turned out.

Best,

3. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Andy,

He's in Studio City, on Cahuenga and well worth getting to know.

Louis

4. mpm

mpm

May 10, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Also, James Brown in Claremont does great work on basses. Great resource for anyone who lives out in the Inland Empire.
    Mike

5. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I checked out Nick's site again, as I may have need for some minor luthiery shortly. And there you are, smiling at me from the page. Nice looking bass, too. :)

Picture here: http://www.violuthier.com/workinprogress.html

Andy

6. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    You're too kind! :) Nick's certainly worth checking out (323-851-9998) We starting the 3-string restoration later in September. He's carving a new back for it - among many other things.

Best

Louis