1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

luthiers Apprentice opportunity

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by 2behead, Aug 24, 2012.

1. 2behead

2behead

Mar 8, 2011
    portland
    I have found out that one of the top luthiers in my area is planning to retire and is looking for a apprentice to take over all of his repairs. I have some carpentry skills, some finishing skills, I Love instruments. I do my own set ups (But it takes me a while) I have a pretty good Idea what the job would entail. It excites me to meet and put new life back into instruments. What would you be looking for in a apprentice? I know I should be Nice, humble, eager to learn, confident........ Any advice? thanks so much.

2. Hi.

If You understand and accept how very little you will earn for the rest of your life, go for it.

His contacts and clientel may or may not accept the "replacement", but if they do, that'd shave good 10-20 years from the start of your career. The most miserable low-on-income living-on-pea-soup first 10-20 years no less.

Be prepared to have better social skills than the dozen or so other candidates, show up with at least one bass and one guitar that YOU have made from scratch, and you're halfway there.

Before You audition, do practice on the setups on both guitars and basses. Mostly on guitars, obviously.
    If they "do take a while" ATM as You say, you'll most probably fail unless you can perform effectively.

Be also prepared to buy his tools and perhaps the property/working space when he retires, at that time you have to have either the cash or an approved loan.

Good luck.

Regards
    Sam