Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Luthiers in Northern VA area?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by PinkFloydDan, Feb 18, 2006.

1. I want to install a brass nut on my Reverend Rumblefish bass. Can anyone suggest a person in Northern VA who could find or make the brass nut and install it on my bass? The nut right now offers very low action, but it's really flat. My e string barely stays in the grooves.

thanks

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    PM Dr. PhunkyPants. He can most likely do the job himeself, or at least can point you to someone who can.

3. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    Action music in arlington is the place to go for repairs and work like that. If they won't do it they can send you to who will.

Action is one of the last privately owned stores in the area, the owner is a great guy and they understand how people feel about instruments. They do great work

www.actionguitar.com

4. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    But I have to ask--why brass? I don't think there's any sonic advantage and if there is an advantage, it's only going to show up on four notes--the open string notes

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Brass nuts do make a sonic difference. Plus they look different.

6. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    How do they make a difference on a fretted note?

7. Brass looks nice. It's more stable. And I feel as if I hear the notes more clearly.

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    They make them shinier.

9. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    Can't argue with that

Give Action a try--I bet they'll do it, and if they do, they'll do an excellent job

I got yer brass nuts riiiight here....

10. Look at what this dork did to my bass.

11. I know of the place. The guitar player in my band had a bad experience there though. He took his fender tube amp in for repair and we had a gig the following week. He got it back and it was still doing the same thing. When he went back they gave him a lot of beef about it and made him feel very uncomfy.

12. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    ??? who did that--and why?

13. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    The owner's been having trouble with his amp guy, but I'm sorry you had a bad time there.They've always been great for me.

14. Dr. FUnkyPants is going to set her straight.

I called Melodee Music to get a refund and man did that guy give me sh$t. He was such a jerk. NEVER will I go there again and I was considering buying a fender mustang from them. I mean, I asked for a $40 refund and he threw a tissy fit. How can anyone say that is a good set up? The guy said he couldn't get the E string intonation right without adding that weird thing. Not to mention the saddle screws almost touch the strings and when I try to play the bridge pick up, my fingers hit one screw. Awful.

Now, I did ask the guy if they could turn it over in 2 days because I had to record in the studio. And they agreed. As if that's some big request.

The Doc is going to give me a lesson in set ups. I hope I can figure it out and just do them myself from now on.

I love this bass, too. I called Revenend and spoke with Joe Naylor (the maker) and he was real nice and said he would do whatever he could.. Good guy.

15. No, not me. I'd go there although my old bandmate would tell me not to. He's no easygoing guy.

I got it under control. Dr. FUnkypants to the rescue

16. Figure I'll add my question here..

Does anyone know of a good place for a set-up other than guitar center in the Suffolk area?

Thanks,
    -Matt

17. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    He will do a good job. I have to call him about a couple of my basses that I don't have the tools for and see if he has them.
    Melodee Music is a good place to buy instruments and amps and accessories. They are a locally owned music store. Their guitar tech, however, is incompetent. I wonder if they know this?
    You should be able to, it's not that difficult, but takes some getting used to. Specifically neck truss rod adjustments, which take some time to "set in". Unfortunately two of my basses have unusual adjustment points which I don't have tools for, so I can't do much with them.

18. KOakley

KOakley

Sep 26, 2002
    Hampton Va
    Fret Not Guitar Repair in Newport News.

19. Thanks!

20. highgain510

highgain510

May 20, 2011
    NoVa
    Sorry to necrobump this old thread but I actually have the same question as the OP but the member "Dr. FUnkyPants" that everyone was talking about seems to be off the member list now? :confused: Can anyone recommend a luthier in NoVa that will do a brass nut on a 5-string bass that will do good work and not be crazy expensive? I pinged my regular guy and am waiting to hear back but I don't know if he will work with brass or not and I get the feeling he doesn't. :meh: Any help? :) Thanks!