Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lyric issues.....

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by corrosivemind5, Jul 16, 2004.

1. corrosivemind5

corrosivemind5

May 16, 2004
    Hey,

Backround: OK i just joined this heavy metal band that needed a bassist which is great because i love heavy metal. So i met up with the guitar player to do a practice yesterday and he went over the songs that he had done and i wrote everything down so i can practice when they arent around. Yeah so anyways i ask him if i can read his lyrics and he hands them to me and i start reading them. And heavy metal lyrics I know are supposed to be a little on the darker side but listen to these..."I am gunna hunt down my friends one by one with a knife:" or something like that.....i personally think that they are rather disgusting after columbine and stuff.
    Issue: And this is the problem...My parents are gung-ho catholics and since iam only 14 i cant really do things on my own yet but yeah they wud kill me if they heard the lyrics.....so i asked them not to come to my first gig in septmeber and they insisted on going.....so what do u think i should do......this may sound like a stupid petty problem but its my first real band that actually has gigs and good other musicians....ugh....well iam open to what anyone thinks :(

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Do you feel OK with standing up there next to somone saying things like that otherwise?

3. corrosivemind5

corrosivemind5

May 16, 2004
    yeah i dont really care that much unless they talk about rape and stuff

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Well, will your parents even understand what he's saying?

5. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    Might as well look for a different band. I don't think "hunting down people with knives" is going to catch on with too many listeners. Well, I hope, but I also know there are some sick people out there.

6. Your parents probably won't understand what he's saying, and plus it's not you singing, so you can't really be criticized for his lyrics. Or maybe your parents will anyways...

7. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    It's true that you aren't the one writing the lyrics or singing them but being a part of the band that is putting out that type of music makes you appear as an endorser of it from the perspective of most people I would think.

8. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Could it be that the lyrics are written from the point of view of a twisted psychopath without actually endorsing that path? It's still one to tread with care but it is possible to tell stories without endorsing everything that all the characters say.

On the other hand, if you think this really is the way those guys are thinking, I'd probably want to make a quick exit after making sure none of them know where I live! You don't want to end up as "hunting friend"!

Wulf

9. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    I suppose if you want can write from the "point of view of a twisted psychopath" accurately, you would have experience as one, or from a relationship with one. Otherwise, it may just be for shock value. Let us know how things turn out in any case.

10. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    But it's O'Kay to talk about killing people? :meh:

11. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Stick it out with these guys and their less-than-tasteful lyrics to get some playing experience. Meanwhile, shop for another band that you feel more comfortable playing with. If your parents come to the show and insist that you leave the band after hearing the lyrics, then so-be-it.

Since you're only 14, this band may seem like a big deal, but good bass players are always in high demand, and bands come and go all the time...

12. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    It all depends on how comfortable YOU are with them. If it bothers you, you shouldn't stick it out with them. As mentioned, there are plenty of bands out there :)

These kinds of lyrics are an established part of metal, whether anyone likes them or not. It doesn't mean people are actually going to go out and act out what they hear in the songs.

13. The very fact that you posted this thread...tells me that you're uncomfortable with the lyrics.

I wouldn't be comfortable with a whole show of lyrics like that. One or two songs, maybe, but only if I felt they weren't advocating criminal, violent behavior. (an old example--Judas Priests "The Ripper" or "Genocide") But even Judas Priest didn't fill their entire show with such lyrics.

Hopefully your songwriter will grow into better lyrics. As other people have posted, though, you may want to get into some different projects once you get more experience. You certainly don't have to stick with a situation you're uncomfortable with. :bassist:

14. This thread strikes very close to home for me.
    My fifteen year old son ( lead guitar/vocals ) and his youger brother ( drums ) have their own band, and write their own material which is very heavily influenced by Slipknot and their ilk. Needless to say, the lyrics are full of shock value and ( I find to be ) a real downer full of depressing themes. Suicide/murder/hate etc.
    So for what it's worth, I'll just give you my point of view the same as I've given it to them....
    ...........I reckon that lyrics are only a small part of what make a song a success, maybe 10 ~ 30% IMO. The rest is made up by the quality of the songs, their originality, the level of musicianship, and the overall presentation and stage presence of the band. If being successful and making a living out of music means anything to you, wouldn't it be better to temper the lyrics a bit in order to appeal to a broader audience?
    Or maybe even have two sets of lyrics for the same song, one dark set for the goth gigs and maybe a humorous/parody set for the rest of us who prefer things to be a bit happier? :mad: > :hyper: :D

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I just write lyrics without violence or swearing, and they still seem to convey more and get more reaction out of people than the most vile Cannibal Corpse lyrics.

It's all about headspace.

16. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Write new lyrics for the songs and see how the guys like it.
    or
    Have the "singer" scream.

17. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    Im witht he guy that said stick it out and get the experience. At the very least you will at least learn the ups and downs of band life. Are you sure you didnt join a death metal band or something? My band has some lyrics that talk about killing people... But we dont come out and say it literally, more of its only that way if you take it that way type thing. I dont see that whole knife thing in the lyrics as bad stuff to be saying but rather a inexperienced writer. Just see how it goes...and Im thinking if your parents come they wont have any clue what hes saying anyways. The distorted guitars and crazy drums may set them off though. Seen some parents in my time get tipsy about distortion for some reason.

Just have fun if you can....when the fun stops, find a new band. :bassist:

18. corrosivemind5

corrosivemind5

May 16, 2004
    wow guys thanks alot......i really appreciate all the advise which was very helpful.....if you wanted to know this is my conclusion: since hes only written two songs maybe the other songs he writes will be more postive(which i doubt) but i will stick with them especailly becasue we are gettin gigs and iam only 14......and we dont have a singer so if we get one that screams his ass off then iam in good shape....on the plus side since since good bass players are in high demand maybe i cud say something about the lyrics and wats he gunna say,"screw u man iam gettin someone else"....if he says that then good luck to him. :p ... or he cud listen to me and maybe use my non violent ideas or not but anywas tahnks a lot guys

Ben