1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

M-Audio 2x2m VS Scarlett 2i2

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by mel0dic.bassist, Dec 18, 2016.

1. mel0dic.bassist

mel0dic.bassist

Jul 9, 2014
    Canada
    So as it turns out, my wife/mother-in-law had purchased me a Behringer U-phoria UMC404HD. It had bang-on specs for me, and the price was right. 4 ins/outs, 192khz, CHEAP!.. I've seen/read absolutely NOTHING bad about these U-Phoria units, and the feature vs price compared to most in its class cost double or triple more..

Anyways, it's on an insane back-order at L&M, apparently won't ship for Christmas, and the staff "do not see it in the near future anytime soon." That aside, they turned the money spent into a gift card (approx. $175 CDN), and I plan on getting a different interface.

Now, before I get into products, here's a bit about what I do at home. I play bass/guitar, only recording one track at a time, unless I'm recording acoustic guitar, which is run DI from its preamp, and mic'd at the same time. I make tracks of me playing along with my favourite artists songs, and the odd time I'll have a buddy over where I record two tracks simultaneously (2 guitars, 1 guitar/vox, etc)

Bass is straight in, typically no effects. Electric guitar is also direct, run through a high-gain distortion pedal. I run instruments through a small Behringer tube preamp (my current vessel of connectivity to my PC) into the motherboard's sound card. I used to have an M-Audio Delta 2496 internal card which I used to record this setup through and it sounded good (to me). That's no longer the case, so now I NEED an interface again. I run this into either Mixcraft 7 (mostly) or Reaper (just started getting into it).

I don't want to get hung up on brands or the like. I've used a TONNE of M-Audio stuff in the past, and I know that their products are good (apart from the occasional driver issue). I know the 2i2 is highly recommended, but as it stands, the 2i2 MK2 is about $210 new, and the 2x2m is $180 new. Obviously, based on price, the 2x2M wins. It also has MIDI support (I have no need for this.. yet..). I chose the 2x2M because the 2x2 only has one combi-jack, and lacks the midi. It's also USB-C compatible (my pc isn't yet, but this isn't a deal breaker).

They both offer comparable specs, 2 ins (combi-jacks), 2 outs, direct monitoring, headphone out, etc. At this point for me, it's coming down to the M-Audio just for the fact it's cheaper (although I have no trouble spending the difference, I'd just rather not, daddy got a new car this week).

So basically, I need some performance comparisons from any one who has used both, moreso the 2x2M. There's tonnes of stuff, reviews, etc on the 2i2, but not much for the 2x2M apart from the typical "awesome sound at an even awesomer price!" nonsense. I love the way the M-Audio looks, very industrial, and I love industrial...

I just don't want to go with one and be let down because it's not what I expected. So, brands and price aside, based solely on specs/software and the like, which should I go with here? I'd like to hear some personal reasons if I could, more than just "the 2i2 is the best in its class" etc, as in, why did YOU choose XXX interface?

Attached Files:

• 2i2.
      2i2.jpg
      File size:
      91.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2x2m.
      2x2m.jpg
      File size:
      105.9 KB
      Views:
  2. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I know this doesn't address your exact questions BUT having been a user of the M-Audio Mobile Pre and having worked through various configurations of my desktop recording workflow, you might prefer the form factor of the 2x2 over the 2i2, I know I would. Specifically, the XLR connectors on the back instead of the front, the big control dial and the visible meters. I would also consider what software might be bundled with each unless you have your software solution in place already....

3. mel0dic.bassist

mel0dic.bassist

Jul 9, 2014
    Canada
    Thanks for the input man!.. I also have been a long-time M-Audio user (not just interfaces, controllers, etc) and, I personally too, prefer the 2x2M's design over the 2i2. I love the big knob and the xlr's on the back as you mentioned. It's very industrial looking, which is what drew me to it. I'm about 85% sure I'm going with the 2x2M over the Scarlett so far. Mostly because it's almost $50 cheaper, and I've had outstanding performance with every M-Audio device I've used. I wish I would have just kept my FireWire Solo, such a kickass unit!

Software is just a bonus for me. I already have DAW's that I've been using for years and have no need to change them. However, any kind of VST, plugins, etc would interest me more than a DAW. To be honest, I don't even use a lot of plugins apart from some EQ and compression. I'm typically a bass/guitar > amp kinda guy these days. Until I get my Mesa Mark V, I use a distortion pedal straight to amp/interface. Come to think of it, most effects, or anything of the like is typically not a VST (unless it's something I don't have in a pedal or similar, typically reverb if needed).

The only thing stopping me, really, is the 2i2 MK2's advertised reduced lately. Now, I've never really had any latency issues in the past, using either the FireWire Solo, Delta 2496 PCI card, or my old Fast Track Pro. I guess that's what I'm really after is latency related. There's nothing I cannot stand more than fighting something rather than using it for its intended purpose,.. Which leads to the inevitable disappointment/anger.

4. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    One of my closest friends has the 2i2, another the 2x2M, and I myself have the M Audio M Track Plus. I've played my bass through theirs. There was no real noticeable difference in tone and clarity. So I'd say they're even as far as that goes. That all being said, if I had to go out and buy one of the two today, it would be the 2x2M, for no other reason than its design. (My M-Track plus has all the inputs on the top, and that has always been on thing I don't like.) I like that the XLR's are on the back of the 2x2, and instrument, and headphone inputs are on the bottom front of the 2x2 compared to the 2i2's locations. It might sound cheesy, but the 2x2M's in/out locations reduce the amount of tension put on the cables, preventing it from bending more dramatically at the site. I hope all this makes sense. It's late here, and I'm dead tired. So if it doesn't, I'll be happy to clarify when I'm more alert.

5. Shabz

Shabz

Jun 20, 2014
    My scarlett unit does the job for me, but cant see any obvious problems with the 2x2m. I'm sure either would suit your needs just fine

6. mel0dic.bassist

mel0dic.bassist

Jul 9, 2014
    Canada
    Soooo.. I ended up going with my instincts and picked up the 2x2M earlier today. Of course, I do not get it till Christmas morning (the surprise was blown due to the Behringer being back-ordered, and the wife really wanted me to have an interface this year so I can really start investing into my music again {frig i love her!]).

Anyways, I'll report back once things have settled down and the turkey has worn off. Definitely get some clips up as well!

cassanova and DirtDog like this.