M-Audio Fast Track USB for home practice and fooling around

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I have become obsessed with a desire for at home multi-track recording practice. What I mean by this is practicing by...

Picking a random jazz standard with leadsheet
    Setting out drum samples for basic time keeping
    Record a guitar or keyboard track just comping on the chords
    Record a walking bassline
    Record the melody (DB, BG, guitar, piano, whatever)
    Do like, 7 choruses of this with the melody on the first and last chorus.

Then, mute each track, and play along with yourself. This would allow me not only to expand as an improviser and bassist, but also expand my guitar/piano chops and experiment with different chord voicings.

The only problem is, I have no way to actually record on my computer, and I do want something decent sounding, so that if it comes up I have to have a demo CD for a gig or something, I can just send them a couple random "practice sessions."

My solution? The M-Audio Fast Track USB. Both XLR and 1/4" input (important because I intend on eventually buying an AMT mic for my DB,) connects by USB (so I can use it with my laptop,) etc. etc. Barebones stuff.

Am I spending too much here? Is there a cheaper alternative? Weight and size are an issue, as I want to make this setup portable. I have two spare periods at school this coming semester -- that's 3 hours worth of practice time.
  2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Shouldn't you be busy teaching bad habits?