Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

M-Pulse 600 + Ampeg 8X10. Anyone tried it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MiniMoNK_17, Jun 1, 2004.

1. I'm looking to put a rig together consisting of an Ampeg 8X10 and a Mesa M-Pulse 600, with a few extra rack mounts for compressors, limiters, not exceeding $200. Has anyone played on this rig, and if so, how does it sound?

That aside, any suggestions on compressors/limiters under $200 CND?

2. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    i havent played a 600 thru an 8x10 but i used my little Walkabout with it. The same controls to a degree. The sound was like butter. I like my lows and treble boosted with a hit of mids and my gain at 2ish. Very nice syrupy growl. hope that helped

3. That helps. I was trying out the M-Pulse @ Long-McQuade in Ottawa with an SWR 15, liked the tone but the output sucked. Then I proceeded to plug into a Yorkville 1X15 2X10 cab, tone was a lot brighter, very defined, but I know if I could afford it I'd go with the 8X10 ampeg. Just haven't had the chance to test out the rig before I bought it...I'll post my thoughts on it when I go pick it up.

4. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    I played my Walkabout head thru the Ampeg PR410HLF and it sounded great.

5. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    i used to play the walkabout out of an Ampeg 6x10. I just sold it the other night for a set of lighter cabs. Bandmates arent always that helpful. 99% of the time im miked or DI'd so the cabs are really there for monitoring and the 6x10 was a bit too much. One club i play at has an 8x10 and usually its either miked or DI'd and i think thats too much for that club. Im planning on getting two Agular GS112s(two 1x12 cabs). Im not telling you what to buy but that 6x10 was a bit intimidating i just guess how the 8x10 is going to be.

6. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    There was this touring band that played Memphis about a year ago. They're bassist had an M-Pulse 600 into an Ampeg 8x10. He used a Warrior bass. I remember his sound being really growly.

7. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Timmy C now uses an M-Pulse 600 with an Ampeg 8x10" for his clean sound, replacing an Ampeg SVT-II. He certainly has great tone and has commented that it reproduces the B-string better than the SVT did.

Alex

8. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Ive played an M pulse 600 just not through thr 810. My only comment would be that you might lost some of the top end that the amp puts out because the 810 is a tweeterless cab. Its nice sounding top end too... the M pulse 600 is a fine amp! I personally would use a 410 with a tweeter.

9. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I played my old Stingray through one and a RR 4x10 not too long ago, and I wasn't really impressed. It was too hard to get a good sound out of it. I guess parametric EQs aren't my thing.

10. After twiddling around with the Mesa for about 3 hours in the store I managed to find a really nice sound I liked with a Yamaha John Myung signature bass. I'm running an Ibanez BTB 406 with it, EMG 45DC's stocked at the neck & bridge. I'd be more inclined to get the 4X10HLF if it's the case that i'm going to be losing some high end. The band I am in plays kind of progressive Metal with a melodic touch, and I find myself on those wee little high frets a lot of the times doing triple harmonies or leads over top of the guitars. I ran the 8X10 with a SVT 5-Pro also at a previous gig, and managed to also receive a very nice defined tone, good on the highs but they lacked the clarity that I seemed to find with the Mesa, and I've always been a fan of the Mesa guitar products (mainly the dual rec w/ 6L6's driving it). In the end, I think I'll stick with the 4X10 to receive the best clarity on the highs along with the low end that I want people to more feel and be shaped by the guitar tones rather than a "IN YOUR FACE" low sound that a lot of bassists try to achieve in the Metal genre. It muds up any sound (esp. live) that you are trying to achieve.

11. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    The 410 HLF has a nice extended range and I find that the tweeter in it is not bad at all. Im sure the 810 will sound huge but you lose the articulation in the highs with a cab like that IMO. The 410 HLF has more lows too but you can tame that with the M pulse EQ if its too much. They can be had used for pretty good prices. Best of luck! :bassist:

12. The bass player from Alterbridge uses that exact same setup; a Mesa M-Pulse 600 into an Ampeg 8x10. Seriously growly but defined tone. Much better, IMO, than an Ampeg SVT, which to me is just way too wooly and muddy. I say go for it!

Peace!