Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

m6 chords

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    If one sees a minor 6 chord, do you play the minor sixth, or the minor third and the major sixth? I seem to remember it being something like the latter, although the former makes a lot more sense.
    Is this like the chord symbol to play a dorian? This would make sense, with the minor 3rd/major 6th format. I ask because I was fiddling around last night with some arpeggios while listening to A Night In Tunisia, and I played an Eb7 arpeggio at the same time as the piano did it (completely unintentionally, I was just walking them up the neck) and so I thought I'd try and figure out the rest of it. I opened the fakebooks I have with that song in it and the following chord is a Dm6 -- and it sounds right when I play D-F-A-B-A. Is this correct?

2. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    Play the minor third and the major sixth.

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Huzzah! Thank ya muchly.

EDIT: So how would you write something that used the minor 6th? Dm+5?

4. Gomex

Gomex

Jan 7, 2005
    Australia
    That would imply the chord has a raised 5th instead of a flat 6, which is fine but if you want the unaltered 5th as well as the flat 6th you'd write it as Dm b13

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Ahhh...thanks, Gomex!