1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

M9/M13 Scenes and Settings Thread

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MonsterBass101, Apr 11, 2010.

1. MonsterBass101

MonsterBass101

Mar 3, 2008
    SC
    Hey y'all,

I thought this would be a cool Idea to do, specifically for people like me who have very busy schedules and don't have time to spend hours to discover new things that these amazing pedals can do. So anyone who has settings that they would not mind sharing please post your favorite effects and effects combination!

2. MonsterBass101

MonsterBass101

Mar 3, 2008
    SC
    Well I'll start by asking a question. Have any of y'all successfully gotten a decent organ sound out of the unit? I'm trying the Pitch Shifters and am using one octave up, one octave down (via Bass Octave Deluxe), and one fifth above. I am also using the Leslie Simulator set at a fast rate with a small depth. Its close, but what am I missing?

3. Subscribing

4. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    I feel your pain, but these units probably aren't for you if you don't have any time to edit FX order and settings.

5. MonsterBass101

MonsterBass101

Mar 3, 2008
    SC
    Well I am really a plug and play person at heart, but some of the songs I play require the use of effects. And I'd rather keep the price and everything cheap! So for like 400 dollars I can get one of these or like 1 or 2 other effects.

6. Have you tried this?
    1. Synth-O-Matic: waveform 1, Freq: 3/4, Q: zero, pitch: all the way up for brighter organ, half the way for heavier tones, mix half the way,
    2. Smart harmony: Major scale, 5th up, blend: 1/2 or less,
    3. Smart harmony: Major scale, octave up, blend: 1/4,
    4.(in M13) Analog chorus / Rotary drum for leslie vibe or Pitch glide (octave down) for more low end.

7. I've found that the Heavy Distortion is actually my favorite patch for low gain pick style grind. I don't have it in front of me, so I can't recall the exact settings, but the only trick to using it this way is to turn the Drive all the way down. The level and eq you can tweak to taste. My bass has a relatively strong output, so lower output basses may get away with settings slightly above zilch on the Drive.

I have to agree though that you really need to spend time with the M9/M13 to get the most out of it. When I first used it I thought all of the "Distortion" patches sucked, but then I realized that they just really need to be tweaked correctly. Also, sometimes you have to ignore what the patch name implies about how the effect should be approached. Using the "Heavy Distortion" for more of a low gain sound is a perfect example of what I mean.

I have one other tip to help you work out your settings faster. Place the looper before the effects, and create a loop (perhaps a phrase from the song you are making patches for). Now put the bass down, and get to tweaking. It's much easier to dial in settings when you don't have to worry about playing.

8. dgrizzly

dgrizzly Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Mile High USA
    As a new M9 owner, I would love to see this thread gain some momentum!!

My board right now has an MXR Bass Octave Deluxe, MXR Bass Envelope Filter, Darkglass B3K and an Xotic SP Compressor running before the M9. I plan to use the M9 for "everything else".

I only have one scene set up so far. I'm using it for ambiance so I have chorus > delay > hall reverb. Nothing is really dialed in yet, so I will wait to post specific settings until I've had a bit more time to play with it.

In the meantime, I would love to hear from fellow M9 / M13 lovers what scenes and settings are being used! :)

Edit: If there is a better M9 scenes and settings mega thread that I'm missing, please direct me accordingly. Thanks!

9. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    I have a really good 'Time is Running Out' sound that is mainly an M9.

Other than that, I've mainly just used the Octaver, and some random experimental patches that don't get any use. I also have a god swell patch which is basically just chorus into delay into reverb with a volume pedal controlled in front of it.

I haven't had time recently to sit down with it more, I am most likely going to replace it once source audio one series comes out, I can keep my midi controlled setup but add their delay and orbital modulator, plus a Boss OC2 that I've been wanting.

Anyway. I'd like to see more settings too.

dgrizzly likes this.
  10. dgrizzly

Apr 28, 2014
    Mile High USA
    Do you know if you can use the Line 6 expression pedal as a volume pedal for swell settings like this?

11. adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Yea. You'd have to set up one of the early patches with the expression pedal. It's kind of a weird process, I don't remember exactly but I couldn't get my SA expression pedal to work right anyway.

dgrizzly likes this.
  12. dgrizzly

Apr 28, 2014
    Mile High USA
    Cool I'll check it out - thanks! I would like to use the M9 for various ambient swells and "woosh" sounds. I've been using the volume knob on my bass, but man would the pedal be a lot easier! :)

13. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    There is a Volume Pedal effect, and it is most-likely in the yellow effects. It's meant to be used with the expression pedal.

dgrizzly and adamaarts like this.
  14. adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Yup. Forgot about that one!

15. DeadPoet

DeadPoet

Jun 4, 2003
    Belgium
    Subbing and reminding myself that I need to archive my presets (about to do a big PB redo and add a 2nd M9) - could do it in here while I'm at it.

Herwig

dgrizzly likes this.