Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mac madness

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by 43% burnt, Aug 16, 2005.

1. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    here

Used 4 year old apple laptop sale turns into a riot...people are crazy. Call me stupid, but I don't understand :confused:

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I get it. It looks to have been a good deal. Nice gesture on behalf of the school district.

-Mike

3. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Yeah, a good deal...but c'mon.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I hear ya. People just get too greedy. Every year at Christmas we hear about some people getting trampled over the latest, greatest toy.

-Mike

5. People can be such uncivilized morons sometimes. Of course it's a great deal, but there's no need to lose one's composure and sense of decency over it.

6. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    "Blandine Alexander, 33, said one woman standing in front of her was so desperate to retain her place in line that she urinated on herself."

That could be a new ad campaign for the next sale. "Savings so huge, you can afford to buy yourself a new pair of pants!"

That's rediculous. A mob scene to get their hands on a 4 year old out of date piece of fruit.

7. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Materialism reaches a new plateau.

8. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    You think if Sadowsky had a $50 blowout sale there would be riots in the streets outside his shop?

9. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I know I'd step on a few people :)

10. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I'd probably pee myself.

11. 4 Year old computers? Well... Hmm... What would you do with that!?

If you want to hook up your 28.8kb internet and browse some text-only websites. I guess it would work...

12. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Two Christmases ago a woman was trampled at a WalMart as people rushed to buy $29 DVD players.

13. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Plenty...just because the industry makes us all think we need the newest machine, a 4 year old iBook is still a powerful machine and for $50 a no-brainer.

I use a 10+ year old Mac in my MIDI setup. That replaced a 20+ year old Atari ST I finally retired this year.

I refuse to accept the idea that I should pay another $1000+ every 4-5 years for a new computer. BTW I've worked in the computer industry as a design engineer for 25 years.

14. "...Latoya Jones, 19, who lost one of her flip-flops in the ordeal and later limped around on the sizzling blacktop with one foot bare."

there's something really sad about shopping for a computer while walking around in only one flip-flop. mayhap i will try that next time i shop for electronics.

(loosly quoted from a friend's response elsewhere, because I think it's funny)

Personally, I'm with Brian on this one. I only bought a newer machine after 10 years simply because it would have cost about as much to upgrade my old computer (ram, hd, processor & OS) to run the recording rig I recently bought. Otherwise, if you're just using a computer as a glorified mailbox / net-box, why bother upgrading?

The mad panic side of this story just simply doesn't surprise me. Funny how a board of educators couldn't have come up with the idea of doing a bulk "buy it now" type auction on Ebay and given the money to charity or reinvested it back in the school system. They certainly didn't do the community that much of a service. I hear some people caught wind of this sale on line, and FLEW IN and were first in line.

15. If you couldn't afford a new computer, someone offered you one for $50, even 4 years old, and you were terrified your kid twouldn't be able to compete with all the kids who's parents could affort computers, yeah, I think some serious interest is to be expected.

I'm using a 1999 Dell laptop to compose this message, by the way. Admittedly, a few minor mods here and there to keep it current. 7200 rpm 60GB hard drive, 512Mb memory, upgraded PII 300Mhz processor to PIII 800/650 speedstep, DVD +/- RW/CD-RW burner, wireless networking PCMCIA card.

I'm installing w98 on an old 1997 laptop I had laying around to give my neice to go to school. Put a network card on that sucker and its plenty fast to cruise the internet, do email, MS word, etc. I'm pretty amazed, actually, it's as fast as my 2.4 Ghz XP desktop for cruising the internet. You only need the latest and greatest high horsepower machines for gaming, not normal everyday stuff or schoolwork.

Randy

16. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Yea I'd probably do that too :)

17. I wouldn't lose my dignity and act like a douche about it though.

18. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Sure, but I wouldn't beat people with a chair to make sure I got one.
    What kind of example would that set for my kids?

Edit: Lol-Davidoc. exactly, that is very douchey behavior.

19. Well, you'd only probably have to hit ONE person with a chair, presumably the others would stop trying to take cuts after that.... :D

But I was only addressing the "why would anyone be so interested" aspect, not justifying the mob behavior. They should have known this would cause massive interest but the
    out of control part would be harder to anticipate.

Hard to blame the people putting it on too awfully much though, I mean the whole point of posting the article is its shocking, therefore unexpected, and we're surprised to hear something like this happened. So why should the people putting it on have expected any differently, could have gotten out of hand pretty quickly.

As for me, I always expect the worst in people, and I'm rarely disappointed. But this would have probably taken me by surprise too.

Randy