1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Machine Head Problems?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by curly bassist, Jun 4, 2011.

1. curly bassist

curly bassist

Mar 28, 2011
    Hi, below are pictures of my machine head, i dont have a great camera so it may be easier to describe the problem.

Basically i am having problems with the stock machine head on my Fender BG-29.
    The pole (?) that the tuner is on which goes through the part attached to the headstock goes through too far on my E string tuner. (this can be seen in photo 1). This has caused the 2 washers, 1 black and 1 white, to be pushed on top of each other instead of side by side as they are on the other machine heads. (this can be seen in the second photo).

I am not sure of the cause but i have also noticed that the peg holding the E string in the bridge is sticking out and no matter how many times i try to restring the E string it will not push in all the way.

I recently changed the strings on this bass for the first time since i got it (2 years ago).

PHOTO 1
    IMG-20110604-00083-Copy-Copy-Copy.

Photo 2
    IMG-20110604-00084.

Photo3
    IMG-20110604-00085.

Photo 4
    IMG-20110604-00086-Copy-Copy.

Photo 5
    IMG-20110604-00087.
    I recently got a set up on the instrument, i know for a fact that the peg sticking out of the bridge is due to something they have done on the set up (maybe a change in gauge of E string?).
    I think that the machine head problems i am having are also connected to the set up but i cannot be sure because they may have been there before the set up and gone un-noticed.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Curly_Bassist

2. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    It looks to me that there's a black spacing washer missing on your E string tuner. It goes between the key and the body of the tuner next to the white nylon washer. That may be the cause. But make sure the screw at the centre of the key is snug - don't overtighten it, but snug it up.

3. curly bassist

curly bassist

Mar 28, 2011
    The black spacing washer is there but the other white washer has been pushed on top of it.
    I checked to see how tight the screw was and it was overly tight - well a lot tighter than on my other basses anyway. Making it difficult to turn the tuner, i had not noticed this before.
    Im not at the same house as the bass right now but i will be tomorrow morning. If i loosen the screw will the black pole that connects the tuning key to the machine head connected to the headstock go back to the correct position itself or will i need to push it?

Thanks a lot
    Curly_Bassist

4. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Loosen the string first - so there is no tension at all on the tuner. See if you can push the shaft back into place and tighten the key. That should do it. If not, you may have a damaged tuner.

5. berwick63

berwick63

Apr 19, 2011
    Bellmawr, NJ
    Some tuners have screw on keys. Not sure if that is the case, but that whole shaft piece might come apart, and you could just reset the washers, screw it back together. Are there screw on the ends of the handle of the gears? If so, try that.

6. Remove the tuner and disassemble it. After you remove the round cover plate, the problem should be obvious. These types of tuners are very lightweight for bass applications and the drive gear strips easily. I have repaired several but usually, they are not repairable and have to be replaced.
    Rocky

7. curly bassist

curly bassist

Mar 28, 2011
    Thanks for all the replies!
    There is a screw on the key so i will dissemble the tuner and see if that works - if not i guess i'll be ringing Fender tomorrow morning :(

Thanks Again
    Curly_Bassist