Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Made A Slapping Video

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by roee_co, Jan 18, 2006.

1. roee_co

roee_co

May 20, 2005
    NY, Long Island
    Found my brother's computer camera so i thought i'll jam to it.

its all improvized in one take, i was just jamming to see how its going to come up so i know it may sound weird sometimes.
    the sound i'm getting is directly from the bass to the computer, so no amp is involved

http://media.putfile.com/Jamming70
    or
    hxxp://s59.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2RF36JNSA0MHP1B8VZGDB5D6KD
    or
    hxxp://s39.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0MY3CT5B9CWUY1I6PCL1VBY8EH

So let me know what you think sucked and what you liked(if any)

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Very Flea Influenced for sure.

Cool bass. Kinda plain, boring. You should set up a drum loop or something next time you do something like this. I became very very bored with it after a short amount of time.

Plus I prefer jamming around a concept, you kinda just go for it with no structure, and very little open space, so it becomes bland very fast.

But you appear to be a very young dude, you're off to a good start. ;)

3. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    cool stuff...

4. Your username sounds familiar, do you visit the rhcp.com messageboard?

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I thought it was pretty damn good!! Not boring at all. Anyone who can riff off the top of thier head while grooving gets an A+ in my book. Looks like you got the slap funk down! Good job!

6. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    yeah i liked all of that, not boring at all, i could of just listend to it for the tone itself tho lol, thats a stingray right? and u say its not plugged into an amp? the way u were popping deffinitly isnt flea inlfuenced, but very groovy, keep up the good work!

7. I like it! I definitely hear some Flea in there. Personally, I didn't care for the tone, but you said it's not through an amp so I guess that's not a problem.
    Great stuff overall. You actually sound a lot like me!

8. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I thought it was very well done. I am always hearing these cool slap patterns, but can rarely figure them out on my own. Its nice to be able to see what your doing, maybe I can get some of it down myself now :)

9. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Yeah, pretty cool. A drum machine might help out the listening for an extended period of time.

Can't really tell how you were doing the fast triplet you were throwing occassionally. Sounded nice and clean. I either us a pop-hammer-slap or the little flamenco thing Stu Hamm mentions in his video, but are you doing a quick double thump?

Speaking of, if you have not checked out that Stu Ham video, it may be worth a little time. Maybe the Louis Johnson slap video? Keep rockin

10. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Sounded like a slap, double pop (1st finger, 2nd finger). Something a lot of slappers do, and taught in "The Slap Bass Program With Alexis Slarevski"

11. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Yeah, the 'flamenco thing' Stu was saying.

It was done very clean, nice work.

12. Ten

Ten

Oct 3, 2005
    I also found it pretty simplistic and un-interesting. Perhaps a drumloop and a melody? You can keep a beat, for sure; but I don't find anything "stand out ish" about the video.

13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Geez! That was tough! Give the kid a break! I don't think he was making the video to get blasted. Just wanted to show us what he's accomplished thus far in his young life.

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    NoNONONONONONO DO NOT GIVE THE KID A BREAK!!!!!

Seriously, look at it like this. If everytime you played the bass, your mommy patted your head, said "You're better than Jaco" and gave you a packet of captain's wafers, you'd think you were the best.

The point of a critique is to list the "needs improvement" qualities of one's playing/performance. Otherwise, you'd never feel the need to improve!

So I actually agree with Ten whole heartedly. He's good for his age, but improvement is needed.

15. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Yeah, I agree. I just think there's a better way to do that though! Like making suggestions or give the kid a challenge or something! It's obvious that he DOESN'T suck!

16. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    everyone has room for improvement, the best bass players can always learn something new, theres no harm in giving someone a compliment, lighten up, i dont think many people would take a compliment that seriously and stop practicing and start thinking they r the best becouse of it, i dont like gettin compliments for my bass playing, but it doesnt mean people cant give u any

17. Ten

Ten

Oct 3, 2005
    Please explain what was so harsh about my post?

Somebody needs to mature a little bit I reckon.

18. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    how did u learn to slap pop? a teacher or book or just form learning songs or something, coz i cant seem to groove like u can when i slap n pop, i've been learning from Feas style and louis johnsons video mainly, mabe itll come in time

19. roee_co

roee_co

May 20, 2005
    NY, Long Island
    Yes I do :)

Thanks man, it is a stingray and yes its not plugged to an amp, just directly to the computer.

flea is an influence :D

It is a slap - pop(index) - pop(middle). called "double popping"

Like i said, this was really just a test for the camera and i was really just playing something to check it. but I definetly get what you're saying.

thanks for the backup, although i'm really not angry at him, i actually rather people will say that i suck or that they didn't like something.

watch videos, research on internet, my teacher gave me exercises for it, pretty much it.

thanks guys for the input
    if you want check my music, http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=178887

:bassist:

20. Ten

Ten

Oct 3, 2005
    Roee, if you don't know, I am Sade from musicianforums.

I rather enjoy the lack of complete selfless praise of this forum, however.

P.S.

Roee, go check out my composition thread. Nobody else seems to want to. :(

/shameless whoring cease.