1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

'made in USA' Peavey Grind? Info required

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TRBboy, Apr 14, 2015.

1. TRBboy

TRBboy

Mar 16, 2013
    West Midlands, UK
    Hey folks!

I don't know if anyone here can help, Peavey themselves are unable to find any info for me...

I've seen a Peavey Grind bass for sale, which I quite like the look of, but it's not one of the far eastern models, it says 'made in USA'. It's a bolt on neck, and has JJ pickups with an active eq by the look of it. I've scoured the Internet, but can't really find any information about them. Could it be some sort of prototype?

I gave Peavey the serial number, but they say they can't find any information to do with it!

I'd be very grateful if anyone here can offer any help.

Thanks!

2. Ken J

Ken J Hartford Hot Several Brass Band

Aug 19, 2011
    Middlefield, CT
    Is this the one thats been on ebay for the past several months?

3. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson! Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Hipshot
    Probably not. He said JJ, which I believe would be a 5'r. The one on ebay, and every US Grind 4 I've seen is PJ config.

Honestly, not a ton of info out there, because they are rarer than unicorn tears. I've seen less than 5 in the past 3 years, and I think most of those have been 4 strings. Not sure how many went into the wild before they switched over to overseas production. Only other evidence I've seen of their existence is a page from a Peavey catalog:
    001_zps41255776.

TRBboy and ebozzz like this.
  4. Ken J

Ken J Hartford Hot Several Brass Band

Aug 19, 2011
    Middlefield, CT
    Nice
    I like the feel of the Grinds in my hands but only had experienced the 34” scale.
    Both with and without the scalp.

5. TRBboy

TRBboy

Mar 16, 2013
    West Midlands, UK
    Hi guys, thanks for the replies!

Yes, it's a 5 string like the one on that catalogue page, but it's metallic orange. I'm most interested to know what the overall quality is like, what the neck profile is like, and what the scale length is? I do quite like the look of it, but I would just like to know more. I can't believe that peavey can't tell me anything!

If anyone has played once of these, I'd love to know what you think.

6. NicJimBass

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Hipshot
    Scale length is 35" according to the catalog listing. Not sure about the rest. You mentioned that the headstock says Made In USA, but the first BXP's to come out also looked similar, albeit with slight differences. USA models have bare wood at the end of the neck, where it meets the body, and only has 4 knobs (although I think one or two are actually stacked). BXP's have the end of the neck painted black, and have 5 knobs, similar to the layout on a Cirrus. If it is on par with other US Peavey's of the same era, I'd expect it to be very high quality.

Honestly, unless it's priced extremely high, I'd grab it just on principle. Any chance you have pics you can share?

7. TRBboy

TRBboy

Mar 16, 2013
    West Midlands, UK
    Man, I wish I could see the specs on that catalogue page clearly, it would answer most of my questions!

8. TRBboy

TRBboy

Mar 16, 2013
    West Midlands, UK
    Sorry NicJimBass, I hadn't refreshed before I replied, crossed posts! 35" scale could be a deal breaker for me. ...

I'll try to post some pics shortly.

9. NicJimBass

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Hipshot
    From the catalog:

They both have the exact same description, despite the 5'r having 2-J's and the 4 having PJ pickups.

·35" Scale Length
    ·Lightweight Solid Alder
    ·Hard Rock Maple Neck
    ·24 frets
    ·Pau Ferro fingerboard
    ·12" radius straight string pull
    ·2-way dual expansion adjustable steel torsion rod
    ·Two J-style hum cancelling passive pickups
    ·18v system (two 9v batteries)
    ·On-Board active or passive 3-band EQ with push/push active treble boost, master volume and blend controls
    ·Quadrajust (TM) solid milled fingerstyle bridge, saddle with (patented) dual compression string-through design
    ·Graphtech topnut
    ·Case Included
    ·Available colors- Silver Pearl, Black, Tangerine, Topaz blue

mb94952 likes this.
  10. TRBboy

TRBboy

Mar 16, 2013
    West Midlands, UK
    Wow, spec sounds perfect for me except for scale length! Maybe I could live with it on a backup bass....

Here's some pics. :D $_3.JPG $_3 (1).JPG $_3 (2).JPG

ebozzz, mb94952, mbelue and 2 others like this.
  11. NicJimBass

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Hipshot
    Looks to be wearing the stock Cirrus brand strings, which are great. I see you're in the UK, so I assume this bass is over there somewhere? Mind if I ask what the seller is asking for it?

12. TRBboy

TRBboy

Mar 16, 2013
    West Midlands, UK
    He's asking £325 ono.

No one seems to want it. Except maybe me! :D

13. NicJimBass

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Hipshot
    Almost $500 if the conversion is correct. Hmmmm. If it were here, I might try to get it a bit lower, but being that it's so rare, I might pay that just to own it!

ShenmueTacos and ebozzz like this.
  14. TRBboy

TRBboy

Mar 16, 2013
    West Midlands, UK
    It's certainly interesting, and did catch my eye. I was just looking for a new backup/living room (3 small children!) bass, and I've seen the peavey, a mint ltd B5-E, or a Japanese Fernandes gravity 5. I've never played a US Peavey, only some of the newer far eastern ones, and they didn't really do it for me.

15. NicJimBass

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Hipshot
    US Peavey's are something special. Very well made, play and sound great.

16. TRBboy

TRBboy

Mar 16, 2013
    West Midlands, UK
    |It does seem like a quality bass. Do you have any idea how much they retailed at new, and when they were produced?

17. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    In America it was probably $1,000-$1,500 new.

ebozzz likes this.
  18. I wouldn't sweat the 35" scale.
    You'll probably never notice it,
    if you are used to a 34.

bholder and mb94952 like this.
  19. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    That is a gorgeous bass.

20. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS Supporting Member

That bass is SWEET ! Wow, a push/pull active passive, too ?

I spoke to Aubrey at Peavey a long time ago and he said painted Grinds are all USA models, but I know that's not true.

I'd jump on it. You could always sell it later if you don't like it but you'd OWN IT. USA Peaveys blow away Indonesian. I don't even think the imports should be called Peavey. They should've given them a sister brand name.