1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mahler 1.iii

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by barbarbass, Sep 29, 2009.

1. My community orchestra is doing the Mahler 1st. The guy who is usually first-chair has stopped coming to rehearsals, so it's on me to figure this beginning out.

Would anyone be willing to share a bowing for the beginning of the third movement?

Or let me just ask this question: is it generally the consensus to to follow Mahler's slurs as bowing guides (that is, taking those slurred parts in one bow)? Seems like kind of a bitch to do it that way -- I always run out of bow, particularly for measures 7-8.

Help.

2. bejoyous

bejoyous

Oct 23, 2005
    London, Ontario
    There is lots of discussion of this very thing in various threads. Do a search and you'll find lots.

Most folks start up bow and devide the slurs so there is 2 beats per bow.

There are numerous ways to finger the notes and much discussion on whether to go down the G-string for the High-A to the Low-A.

Probably the easiest way to play it in tune is as follows:
    Except for the High-A to Lo-A part, play it all in thumb position with the thumb on the harmonic, first finger on E or A and second finger on F and Bb.
    D, E, FED - D-string--thumb, 1, 2,1, thumb
    F, G, A - D-string for the F, G-string for the G and A (thumb and 1)

High-A play the tuning A on the D-string, Low-A just press the A on the D-string down then play the D on the G-string or the D Harmonic.

3. one more piece of advice: Play it a lot louder than you think it should be played or no one will hear it!
    FC

4. Excellent. Thanks for the help thus far guys. Exactly what I'm looking for.

5. bejoyous

bejoyous

Oct 23, 2005
    London, Ontario
    Not sure if you've played this yet, but and even easier and more guaranteed in tune way to play the high-A low-A bit is to stay in thumb position.

Stretch your hand a bit to reach up with 3 to play the high-A harmonic on the D-string, then the low-A harmonic with the thumb (at the octave spot) on the A-string, then the D harmonic with the thumb also at the octave.