Major Focus Problem

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by countrybass, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Hi all,
    Can anyone offer some help? This Friday I did my first gig with a new amp setup(AI Focus 2R into a Schroeder 1212),and the amp craped out 3 different times during the night.Gear leaving me high and dry on a gig is a real bad thing in my book,and I would love any advice anyone has to offer.

The details.

I'm a doubler,using a "58 Kay MIB string bass with all gut strings.The pick up is K+K Rockabilly Special ,into a Stereo (tip ring sleeve) cable,to a Raven Labs MDB-1.The line out of the Raven Lab MDB-1 into the high input of the Focus.
    Also used a "63 Fender Jazz bass guitar,into the Raven,then to the Focus.

First set started with the Kay with the Focus settings Master at 12 o'clock,level at about 9 o'clock,bass at 3 o'clock,mid at 12,and treble about 2 o'clock.Switched to the Jazz bass,and the rig just went dead in the mddle of a song.No bad sound,just no sound.Amp's lights still on,cables all ok,acted kind of like it went into "protect mode" like some power amp do.Switched to the Kay,but still no sound,went direct into the house DI for the rest of the set.The house line originaly was using the direct out on the focus but was buzzing.So we used a DI box out of the effects send on the Focus.

On the break we shut the focus off,tried everything again.It worked just the way it should.Next set same thing happened,only this time I was playing the string bass.You get the idea,of how the night was for me.Bad!!!

We checked the cables,the Raven Lab box,ext and all seemed ok.I tried the Kay straight into the Focus,bypassing the Raven Labs box,still nothing.Tried the Jazz bass direct into the Focus,nothing.Could the problem be I'm overdriving the input on the Focus with my box.I know the high input on the Focus can handle piezzio pickups,so maybe that's it. I will contact AI and see what they think,but if anyone has any ideas I'd be grateful.Thanks,sorry for being so long winded.
  2. Could be you just got a defective unit. The good news is that AI has a reputation for outstanding cutomer service, so I'm sure Rick will do whatever it takes to make it right for you.
  3. Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    I had a new clarus that would shut down. I sent it back and upgraded to a 2 channel clarus. But after inspecting all the cables I noticed a slight short in one of the speaker cables I had been using. I was told that a bad speaker cable will put the clarus into protect mode. So it may be something to check.

4. My old reliable 300 IA will act strange if the power source is not putting out full power (AC). Using a long extension cord or an over loaded power supply will make the digital amps act strange or not work at all. Plug it into another source and see if that stops problem. Or as T-Bal said: could be defective.
  5. Thanks for the replys.I will contact AI and see what they think.The cables seemed fine,the AC was ok,so I don't know what was up.When I tried the amp later at home,it acted just like at the gig,everthing worked just like it was supposed to.I didn't play through it for the length of a set to see if it shut down again,but it's working.I'm gonna use it on a reh this week and see if the problem comes up again.Thanks again for the help!
  6. Hi

My foucs did something similar except that I got static type noise (Sadowsky 5 string). I emailed Rick and he said there may be a probelm with the voltage regulator component of the poweramp. He's mailing me a part which has a modification that fixes the problem that I can install myself. Hoepfully this works.

Rick got back to me straight away which I really appreciated. I'll let you know how things turn out. C-YA

7. Steve Bassman

Steve Bassman Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    After reading your initial post, I think I spotted the problem. It's not the amp, it's the '63 Jazz Bass! Trust me. That thing will cause gear to crap out all the time! You'd better get rid of it fast if you want these prblems to go away. Luckily, I'd be willing to take it off your hands, perhaps as a trade towards a fresh, new Fender bass. No need to thank me now, just contact me ASAP and we'll hash out the details. ;)

- Steve
  8. Thanks for your concern Steve! I'll get right back to ya on that one.

I agree with everyone,Rick at AI was great! He took care of everything,made a mod,and got the Focus back to me right away.I'll use it this week at a anti-bush event on Thursday.Hope no one gets too offended at politics.

I am a little gun shy on using my same set up.I'm afraid it'll crap out again.So I'll bring my big rig along just in case.

Thanks again for everyones input! You guys,and this site are great.