Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

major modes on a six string

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by BassMus1k, Jun 3, 2004.

1. BassMus1k

BassMus1k

Apr 1, 2004
    i need some help. i am just starting six string bass from a 4 string. i wastold by my teacher to take the modes and just extend them out like so......

2 - 3 4
    6 - 7 1
    3 4 - 5
    - 1 - 2

on a four string and then.....

- 5 - 6 - -
    - 2 - 3 4 -
    - 6 - 7 1 -
    - 3 4 - 5 -
    - 7 1 - 2 -
    - - 5 - 6 -

for a six string
    this however just doesnt feel right to me.
    i thought it would be like staring on the low string and moving on like so........

1 - 2 - - -
    5 - 6 - 7 -
    2 - 3 4 - -
    6 - 7 1 - -
    3 4 - 5 - -
    - 1 - 2 - -

or at least something like that. i tune my beadgc and i am seeking some info ont this.... please help am i right, wrong or just out of my mind for questioning my teacher. thanx in advance

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I think that what your teacher is trying to help you do is take what you know an extend it in the two directions your new six string offers. There's nothing wrong with also starting scales on the B string but I'd suggest working on both approaches. If you're short of time, get your homework done first - that will probably make sure your instructor takes you seriously.

BTW, one of the great things about a six string bass is that, because the tuning is consistent across all the strings, you can take patterns you already know and add to the range of tones at your disposal by playing them at different places on the neck.

Wulf

3. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    I tend to think about it like this (going 4 to 5)....

The new pattern he showed you is basically the V on the B string to the D string, the I on the E string to the G string, and the IV on the A string (if that makes any sense)...

I try and look at it across the finger board and figure out which mode I am starting on (from, say, 3rd fret B string, to 3rd fret E string to 3rd fret A string, etc...) it goes V I IV VI II V....

Figure out which mode is "next to" the mode you are on, on either side, and that should help...

Hope this isn't too confusing