1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Make or Break?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Papa Dangerous, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Papa Dangerous

Papa Dangerous

Feb 1, 2011
    I am looking at getting a new bass. I really dig it, and I am pretty sure I have made my selection. So I go into the store today and I decide to take a look around. I noticed that most basses come with a 20 fret neck, including the one I am interested in. My runner up choice has 24... I thought about it and I do want a longer neck, but the bass I want does not come with it. I have never done neck replacements, nor do I want to buy a new piece and quickly start changing it around. (Is that silly?) Should this really be a major decision changer for me? My previous bass had a shorter neck, and I have not done much on a longer neck.. So its not like I am going to lose on something I have previously become accustomed too. Anyone care to share some knowledge, experience or ideas? I am quite aware that if I am going to be unsatisfied, then do not get it.. But I am unsure IF I would be unhappy. Any input would be greatly appreciated :confused:

2. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    some people freak out over the number of frets on a bass. depends on what you play I guess.

are you going all the way up over the 20th fret often? seems silly to me (on bass), but some people NEED those extra 4 frets up there

3. berwick63

berwick63

Apr 19, 2011
    Bellmawr, NJ
    My personal opinion(I have a 24fret ibanez) is that you should go with what sounds and feels best to you. I never find myself in any sort of band setting playing higher than the 14/15th fret(typically not even the octave) So it's more personal choice. You're only gaining 4 more frets, you're also losing room between the neck pickup and end of fretboard though.

4. I like 24 frets, but mostly because it just makes the 20th fret easier to reach some times. I never actually play above fret 20.

5. Papa Dangerous

Papa Dangerous

Feb 1, 2011
    That is the thing.. I never really used up to the 20th fret on my other bass because it started to sound a bit crappy. So I started to wonder if I was really losing on something. I can guess it would be useful to me because I do not play in a band, I mostly play for my enjoyment. But if I wanted to make a song that was just bass.. those extra frets may come in handy.. But to turn down a good deal on a great looking, and sounding bass would seem foolish based on something I am not even sure I would get a lot of use out of. I enjoy playing rock, blues, variations of funk, and sometimes I like to futs around just trying to play fast metal-like riffs. Its the funky/metal play around part that gets me thinking if those extra frets are going to make a difference. My runner up was a 24 fret warwick thumb bolt. It felt nice.. I guess its back to the bass room at the store then!

6. I don't think fret count should be make or break. I think it's a nice option, and if I was designing a custom bass I'd probably ask for it. But, I have a 20 fret P bass that I love, and I wouldn't give it up for a 24 fret bass that I didn't like as much.

7. Papa Dangerous

Papa Dangerous

Feb 1, 2011
    Thanks everyone! You have convinced me to get it! :hyper::bassist::bassist:

8. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Jaco didn't need more than 4 strings and Jaco didn't need those 4 extra frets! We can make a list of great bassists none of whom needed those 4 extra frets. :spit:

Hey I freak out over the number of frets on a bass. How come if Fender cuts corners by only having 4 strings and 20 frets that this somehow makes it cast in concrete. 24 frets is two octaves and simply makes sense. Yes I do (on occasion) use those higher notes. In fact I often have another string with even MORE higher notes which ALSO has two octaves!

IMHO the place where 20 frets makes sense is for slapping. I think that 20 fret basses have a much better slap tone than 24 fret basses and 4 strings are easier to slap than more strings.

9. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    I prefer 24 fret necks mostly cause it gives unobstructed access to to more frets unless you have one of thise odd singlecuts whose top side is blocked out by uncut body. I do sometimes go up to the 21st or even on rare occassions 22nd fret so would never concider a 20 fret bass. But its personal preferance really wether or not to go with 21 or 24 fret neck.