1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

make Squier neck thicker?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jordan_frerichs, Apr 25, 2009.

1. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    The neck on my squier is too thin, because a while back, i though i would play better on a thinner neck (i found out that what i was looking for was a neck that was a little thicker, and had a slightly flatter shape). I don't believe it is close to the truss rod, it is just to thin to play comfortably. I am wondering if i can thicken the neck at all, maybe by steam bending thin veneers several times or something.
    What would you do? I don't care about looks, just better playability. The squier is pretty much my test bass, and i doubt i could sell it even if i wanted to.
    Also the neck has its last 4 frets scalloped. i am considering de-fretting the neck, but i am not sure about a frettless neck, with a scalloped end. is this a bad idea?
    Another thing i am a little curious about is micro tones (if that is what it is called) Could someone tell me what that does, and how i could go about doing it (finding the location of the fret bits and such)?

2. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    If it were me I wouldn't waste any further time on that neck. Veneers? Sounds like it would not be practical. I'd go to ebay or talkbass classifieds and buy a Squier neck for probably $40 and go from there.

3. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

Make the bass fretless and you'll be able to play microtones like all of us other fretless players - most of it unintentionally ;)

A microtone is simply an interval of less than a semitone...most of us call it bad intonation, but some enjoy the freedom

The scallops won't work on fretless, they will cause a buzz at best, or cause the note, to choke but most likely cause a high spot that will actually act like a wooden 'fret' so that playing anywhere behind a scallop will result in it playing the same note much like playing anywhere between two frets will result in the note being set by the higher fret

4. Jordan, I must admit that this is one of the most interesting questions ever asked.

5. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    I am also considering making a new neck. My main concern is that I would want to change the width of the nut, thus altering the taper of the neck. (If I go this route then) I want the neck to have as good a fit as possible in the neck pocket. Would it still work fine? Are fender/squier neck pockets exactly the same, regardless of nut width?

6. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    My advice is to play that neck as-is and develop a feel for a thinner neck. Many players prefer this as it can be less cumbersome to play technically difficult or very fast pieces...

7. powerbass

powerbass Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2006
    western MA
    if you made your own neck you could dial in your preferences for size, shape and feel

8. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I would suggest soaking the neck in water until it swells to your liking.

9. Dogbertday

Dogbertday Commercial User

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    is it a J bass?.... try slapping a P neck on it

10. I like the idea of glueing several layers of steam bent veneer to the back of the neck. Please take pictures.

11. lavmonga

lavmonga Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2007
    New York, NY
    If it's a thin neck, I'm sure you'd be able to find someone to trade for a thicker neck in the classifieds. J necks seem to be quite a commodity there.