Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

make the clipping stop

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jmann, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Jmann

Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    Last night when I was jamming with my band, i was not cutting through, so i boosted my gain on my SWR 4004 1/2 stack and the amp was constantly clipping, but i cut through. I returned the gain to where it was before & messed with the eq hoping that would help, but i was still not to be heard. I was using my 96' Warwick Thumb NT. I was only jamming with 1 guitarist (using a marshall MG250DFX & my sisters fender protogy) and a friend who was playing the drummers drums. I had this problem with my modulus Jazz, but that was fixed by removing the EMG VJ pups & replacing them with the sandard EMG active J pups. I am willing to buy another amp before i switch the pups on the thumb, so that idea is out. Anybody know how to fix my problem?

2. Well I'm not sure what you mean by "half stack", but if you're using the Workingman's 410T, that's an 8ohm cab and the 4004 delivers only 260 watts into an 8ohm load. I see two options here, either add another cab or get everybody to turn down.

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I haven't used that amp, but in my experience, you might be able to eek out a bit more volume by pushing yer main really hot and turning down yer pre. Otherwise yer looking at changing the ohm load with a different cabinet.

4. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    Were you in your standard postion in the room in relation to your amp? Who says you were not cutting through, you or band mates? At the important audience distance you may have sounded incredible. You own awesome gear so try doing what I do if your cords or cordless will reach. While jamming I love to walk out of the room into another area of the house for the true test of cutting through. This helps me determine where I am in the mix and has convinced me that in front of my beast is the worst place to be while throwing mad low air. Unless I'm needing to blow dry my pants........

5. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
  6. Might as well make it the 3402. :D

7. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    I kicked myself for not getting the 3402. Sure, I saved a couple of hundred bucks by getting the 3002. But in the back of my mind I keep wondering if someday I'll wish I had that extra headroom. Right now the 3002 is driving either one or two Eden 112XLT cabs with no problem. But what if I'm playing an outdoor event and need to power four 8x10 cabinets? That extra 400 watts could make the difference. :meh:

8. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I think that might be where your trouble lies. If your sporting an 8ohm cab, then just pick up another one... and the added speaker surface and wattage will give you a good boost in volume.

9. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Mids are your friend, firstly...
    Secondly, DON'T PRACTICE SO LOUD... it's just noise at that point and you can't hear yourself, or others, and find mistakes.
    And to finish.. what cab are you powering with that? As others said, you're "only" at 260W (where ever this "only" comes from I dunno... I did 200W for about 7 months and it always worked fine...) but you may want to consider adding a 2nd cab. Also, if you're clipping, stop playing, that's a sure fire way to kill a speaker...

Ray

10. Jmann

Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    im using the 410 cab at the moment with it. Ill take my 115 over there when we jam tonight. Ill let you all know how this works out. thanks :)

11. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    1. More clean power.

2. More speakers.

Take your pick. One or both will solve your problem.

12. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Good thinkin. Remember that less cabs = Less Speaker Surface + Less power = Less Volume.

400Watts into a 410/115 should be plenty to at LEAST have a loud practice with. I honestly dont recommend blasting at your practices constantly though. I do it once a month with my band, so that we get adapted to live situations... but other than that, dont waste your ear drums.

13. Jmann

Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    it works! no more clipping! but the limiter goes crazy when i play on the E above the 7th fret. Turning down the volume is not possible, because of the drummer... damn drummers. I matched my volume with the guitar & the drummer is set on 11... :)