1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

making a custom pickguard - how to steps

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Rodent, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    to date if a bass I was building needed a pickguard, it was always a P-bass, J-bass, or MM-bass type job ... until now. For a project I'm working I needed to create a custom pickguard, and here's what's gone down

I first created a full-scale pattern with card stock so I could easily work out the styling details. Once my client and I were both satisfied, I created a wooden template from the card stock pattern.

51TeleP_1E_PickguardDetailed.jpg

and gave it a test fit

51TeleP_1F_PickguardTemplateAndComt.jpg

This template was then utilized to route a piece of .090" black matte vinyl making use of a 3/8" x 3/4" flush trim bit. Here's the results prior to finish sanding the edges and removing it from the template

51Tele5P_K_PickguardFreshlyCut.jpg

This is a relatively simple job to do once you have a good fitting template. The most difficult part was getting all of the curves to flow smoothly, and to get that '51 Tele P vibe in a custom guard.

all the best,

R

Arnel M. likes this.
  2. pilotjones

pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Cool. Bevel?

3. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    at the moment, the customer spec I have is for no chamfer

easy enough to do if the pickguard is still on the template - just use a second chamfer bit with bottom bearing like this

[​IMG]

on all of the edges that require the chamfer

all the best,

R

4. Nice one sir. Would you have a digital copy of the pattern? thank you.

5. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    '51 P bass pickguard outlines vary a lot, surprisingly. I had a Mike Dirnt P bass for a while and a template came back barely fitting the bass. It has to match at the neck and down at the control plate.

Arnel M. likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021