Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Making a talkbox...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Reemo_bassist, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Hi,

Going to me making a talkbox soon. However, as the 'real' ones use compression drivers, I figured "hey, just get a speaker out of like a car etc" and do it. So I opened the door of my Range Rover and whipped out the original 4", which can put out a little bass when it was still in (Rainbow components in there now :D).

I think this should combat the chronic lack of bass, and being amplified by its own internal amp (maplin/radio shack)...all good

Whattaya think?

L:

2. Budonze

Budonze

Nov 2, 2000
    watch out with those... my friend has tried making his own using an actualy compression driver and has blown each speaker he has put in there. they tend to be picky with how much power then handle... and id go with a slightly larger hose if you can.. that will help with the bass and get a good mic and EQ for more bass

3. I think there's a good reason (probably more than one actually) why I've never heard anyone try to build a bass talkbox.

...but I'm willing to be shown the light on this one! :bassist:

Samples?!

4. :D where's the harm in trying?

Will let you know

5. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I use a DigiTech talker on bass. The bad news is they are not made any longer, the good news is they are not conisdered vintage so you can easily pick one up off e-bay.

I use it on the following songs;
    1. Sweet Emotion /Aerosmith. I have the intro bass riff on my looper's memory. I start the loop playing and do a talkbox solo over top.

2. Do You Feel /Frampton
    With keybds and bass in my band, they can cover the low end while I talk away !

3. Rocky Mountain Way / Joe Walsh
    As above.

6. Hehe. Just finished building it. Gotta stop any short circuiting/set up a proper jack in the next few days. But it works...just gotta get some tube and seal it up.

I put it's own 7w amp in, so with a level pedal, I can control the amount of overdrive

L

Attached Files: