1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Making a video about an interface

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by wraub, May 19, 2019.

1. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    I recently acquired a new interface, and threaded about it here Focusrite support- Good work
    and in that thread, got this:

I can make bad music all day long, but this video thing is newish to me.
    What would be the best way to achieve this? Really would like to answer this properly.

The computer in question is not online, and I lack an El Gato or similar. Finances are tight.
    I have older video equipment around here somewhere (VHS-C) LOL and several newer phones that, of course, record video.

2. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    if one of the phones does decent video, i'd just use my phone and sync the video to the audio in the video editor. my samsung galaxy S7 shoots better video than my older camcorder. and putting the audio and video tracks together are surprisingly easy to do - even in 100% free VSDC - as long as you put them together before editing them. if you try to put the sound in after lots of edits, well that would be too hard for me to do.

guts and wraub like this.
  3. guts

guts

Aug 13, 2018
    Syncing the video from your phone is your best bet. Just make sure to make a loud sharp transient sound with something in front of the camera while its recording at the beginning of every shot you take and you'll save yourself a lot of trouble with synching the audio.

wraub likes this.
  4. If you have an iPhone you could directly connect the interface with the phone via the camera connection kit and the video app will take the sound from the interface. No need to sync. I guess this works on Android phones too. At least it works with channels 1 and 2 on most interfaces.

5. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    Not an iPhone user, and also no connection kit. :(

Pretty sure I can get it done with the tools I have, just need to find the time... changing my brakes on Saturday, then booth sitting at a Comics/SciFi Convention on Sunday, plus real job and volunteer job.
    I'll get it done asap, or sooner. :)

6. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    Was thinking I could do a video demo of a bass... Phone for picture, Audio to the interface (obvs :) ), could also run a mic to the interface for voice.
    I've mostly recovered from recent injuries, and I have a bass that would gladly sit for such abuse :D.
    Just thinking...

Interesting?

Kro and pcake like this.
  7. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    interested!

sorry to hear about your injuries, but glad you've recovered.

wraub and Kro like this.
  8. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Same, give it a shot!

wraub likes this.
  9. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    Thanks, to you both. :)

Because of this outpouring of support :D I have decided to make this video.
    I will use the interface for one mic channel and one bass channel, demo-ing the bass. There will be at least one camera, more likely 2, although will be cell phone cams. I have additional lights if needed.
    I also had an idea to create a quick thing, maybe a bass line and a drum loop, on camera, and then finish and post separately. Could also just demo the bass. ;)
    Sound good? Further suggestions?

Thanks, again.

Kro and pcake like this.
  10. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    I like this idea!

11. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I’m all for it

Subbed.

Also, if you have VHS camera gear, you aren’t newish to video. You got in on the ground floor, ya dinosaur.

wraub likes this.
  12. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    Hey, it is VHS-C... ;)
    Now shush, or I'll turn this car around and nobody gets Stuckey's, you understand? :D

13. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    :)
    I kinda do too...

Kro likes this.
  14. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    Well, my apologies (again), but this will have to wait until next week... I thought Father's day was next weekend, and not this weekend, which means I'll be working this weekend.
    I already have the cameras, the lights, and a basic format set up, just need the time.
    I appreciate your patience.

pcake and Kro like this.
  15. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    No Stuckey’s?

Man, you’re playing hardball.

wraub likes this.
  16. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    With apologies to @charlie monroe ;) , this thread shall continue, if anyone is still paying attention... :)

After working the last 12 days straight, I should have time for this video thing this coming weekend... Any other suggestions?

pcake and Kro like this.
  17. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    Okay, so... apparently, I am terrible at this. I've made multiple attempts, but can't establish a workflow that makes it easy and also watchable. Not sure what to mention, not sure how to implement drum loops on the fly, not sure of how to navigate all while talking and playing...

I haven't given up... I'll figure it out.
    I'll do this just for me if I have to. ;)

Thanks to all for any patience still available.

pcake likes this.