1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Man, Jamerson amazes me....

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by stingray2112, Mar 14, 2008.

1. I just learned how to play Bernadette and Reach Out. Reach out is fairly simple but Bernadette is great. I love Jamerson's basslines, what other ones should I learn? Any suggestions?

2. Jackson 5 - ABC

3. fjbass78

fjbass78

Jun 21, 2007
    Indiana
    Marvin Gay's What's going on.

4. +1!

5. I think that was Wilton Felder, not Jamerson. As was "I Want You Back". But great basslines nonetheless.

To the OP: if you don't own the "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" book, I highly recommend it for most of Jamerson's best basslines.

6. Darling Dear - Jackson 5

7. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    I think his skills have diminished greatly - he's not as good as he used to be. :D

8. Although I can't play it the right way. I leave some stuff out as I'm still learnin'...

But "You can't hurry love" is a fun one and not really hard.

"What's goin' on" is just smooth man...what else can you say?

Steve

9. JmJ

JmJ

Jan 1, 2008
    NYC
    Some Motown bass tracks soloed can be found here:
    http://www.ricksuchow.com/music-group-151.html
    user name: ricksuchow
    Password: jamerson

Amazing to hear Mr. Jamerson by himself completely out of context. You might not recognize his sound when heard by itself.

10. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
  11. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Too much incredible stuff to list it all, but go listen to "I was made to love her" by Stevie Wonder. Just...wow.

Marshall

12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    "My Mistake" - Marvin Gaye/Diana Ross (Easily my fave!)
    "What's Happening Brother" - Marvin Gaye (Warning: this is not an easy one to learn. He rarely plays each measure the same. Also, one of my faves.)

13. Wasim

Wasim

Dec 10, 2004
    Jamerson is the greatest. Ever.

I could list certain lines he played that I love, but the list would be too long. I might put together a little compilation of some of his less often cited masterpieces, the ones that aren't on the SITSOM discs.

That What's Going On Marvin Gaye live video on youtube, I could watch that everyday for Jamerson's playing alone.

14. lambro

lambro

Jun 1, 2004
    there are 2 key aspects that I have taken from James' playing

one is the re-phrasing yet not an exact duplication of a previous line, these micro improvisations are so powerful, especially in a more pop setting

and the other is the way he could climb up on top of a beat an then lay back, no one has ever mastered it the way he did, although Jaco and JPJ came close at times, james was the influence

the understated way that he accomplished these little twists is what makes them so incredible, no hitting anyone over the head with an idea, a gentle delivery all the time

15. Sneckumhaw

Sneckumhaw

Apr 26, 2006
    Earth
    Lambro, you're dead on! I wish I could do it like James.

16. perfectarc

perfectarc

Dec 28, 2007
    Supremes "You Keep Me Hangin' On". Jamerson DRIVES that song!

He actually does a cool string bend coming out of the second bridge into the final verse. Not too many bass players were doing that back then I bet!

17. honeyboy

honeyboy

Oct 31, 2004
    I love all of his stuff. One of my favorite songs as well as his bass playing on it is the Gladys Knight version of "Heard it Through the Grapevine." He seems to be having such a great time plying on that tune.

18. KenToby

KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    If you can find an accurate chord chart, try following along with your ear. If you don't come close to tears listening to the creativity James uses to bring those chords to life, I don't have a clue what it would take to inspire a bass player.
    Alan Gorrie of AWB (Average White Band) says it may the the finest recorded bass line in the history of music.

By the way, Chuck Rainey played the Jackson 5's ABC.

KT

19. The SITSOM book has tons of great Jamerson parts. Check out For Once In MY Life with Stevie Wonder. Whew boy!

20. Wasim

Wasim

Dec 10, 2004
    I'd agree with that