1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Manual for Walter Woods MI 100-8

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by rjbassman, Apr 22, 2009.

1. rjbassman

rjbassman

Apr 22, 2009
    Can anyone scan and email the manual for a ~80-ish Walter Woods MI 100-8?

I'd be glad to reciprocate with the schematics I found folded inside mine.

2. jonster

jonster

Nov 12, 2008
    I got my WW around 1980. I don't think it came with a manual. Walter doesn't seem to have a website, either. I used to call him, but haven't been able to get in touch with him in years. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Jon Liebman
    www.JonLiebman.com

3. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Email sent.

4. Freddels

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I only had the schematic and not a manual. In fact, I have never had a manual for my WW. So if anyone has one, the OP is still looking for one.

5. JDR

JDR

Mar 8, 2008
    I will scan my "manual" tomorrow (it's a one-page, two-sided document) and will try to post it here in PDF format because I don't see any address to email you directly.

6. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Here's the manual from my 1990 MI-100-8

WWMI-100-8page1.

WWMI-100-8page2.

7. rjbassman

rjbassman

Apr 22, 2009
    testing the ability to post attachments
    Our Thanks to Freddels for the schematic scan

Attached Files:

8. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Bassman,
    Does you're amp actually have Vari and Bright knobs? Just note that there were two different front ends (preamps) in the MI series. The earlier ones just have an EQ section with Bass, Middle, Treble and boost cut switches on the treble and bass controls. I thought that most of the 80's amps had that preamp. He actually used it in the early nineties too and switched over to the other preamp sometime in the middle nineties.

Ric

9. Freddels

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I have a single channel MI-100 that I bought back in '84 and it has the EQ knobs for bass, mid, treble. There are also two inputs for high/low (only one channel though) and there are two preamp knobs (I assume one for each input) and a toggle switch for "Mix/Bst" not really sure what the mix is all about. Anybody else have one like this?

10. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    If you have a picture I could probably nail it down better, but it could be something I've never seen before.

Freddels,
    If it doesn't have a full set of treble, midrange, and bass controls for both channels then it's probably a single channel MI-100-8. I have pictures of all the models I've gathered of TB and the internet. I'll take a look when I get home later today. Walter made a lot of different models in the 80's and 90's.

Ric

11. rjbassman

rjbassman

Apr 22, 2009
    I haven't taken the time to charge my camera, but it looks just like this one.

Attached Files:

• ww1.gif
      File size:
      19.1 KB
      Views:
  12. rjbassman

rjbassman

Apr 22, 2009
    Much Thanks to El Gecko for scanning his Manual (1990 MI 100-8)

Attached Files:

13. robgrow

robgrow Supporting Member

May 1, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    There were two different generations of Walter Woods MI 100-8 amps. The 1st generation MI 100-8 has a red anodized aluminum control panel and uses an all discrete transistor preamp section with no IC's. These were made from the mid 70's through the late 80's. The 2nd generation MI 100-8 has a control panel with a textured finish similar to the current WW Electracoustic series amps. They use IC Op-Amp-based preamp sections, and were made in the early to mid 90's, when they were replaced by the current Electracoustic amps. These amps are sometimes referred to as "Sweepers," as they added variable midrange center frequency controls (VARI).

The schematic posted above is for a 1st generation single-channel MI 100-8, while the manual is for a 2nd generation MI 100-8.

Here is a 1st generation MI 100-8:

[​IMG]

And here is a 2nd generation MI 100-8 from the early 90's:

[​IMG]

14. Freddels

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    It's definitely a single channel (as that's what I ordered). I will try to snap a pic and post it.

15. Freddels

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Here are a couple of pics of my WW.

IMG_0057.

IMG_0060.

As you can see, I still have the name tag from Walter on it.

16. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri

I got out my old copy of Walter's sales brochure it's "a switchable signal booster for increased sustain". So that's what the "bst" position is for, but I still clueless as to what the "mix" position is for or what changes in the mix position. It might be the Mix positions "mixes the two inputs", but that's unclear from Walter's little flyer and I'm not sure that's what it does.

Ric

17. Freddels

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    It's interesting. Also, both preamps must have some volume on them or else there is no volume at all.

18. Freddels

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Sales brochure? I've never seen one . . . ever. The only one that I ever saw was on the back of my Rufus Reid book (and that's how I purchased mine).

19. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Freddels,
    When I bought mine in 1980 Walter had a two page flyer that told about the different models he had at the time. He had the MI-100-8 and the MI- 225-8 had just become available. I saw that same ad on my copy of the Rufus Reid book, so I wrote him a letter and he sent me the flyer. His shop was in Sherman Oaks then and I think that he actually had someone else working with him at the time. He also sent a T Shirt along with my amp. :cool:

Ric

20. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    +1 to Bob for jogging our memory. There was also a 200 watt stereo version of this amp with controls that look like you could vary the center frequency of the treble and bass controls as well.