1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Maple Fretboard Damage - HELP!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by kyral210, Sep 28, 2009.

1. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    I recently bought my Fender American Precision Bass Deluxe and I love it, but there is a problem. There is some damage to the fretboard that im not sure if I should worry about, and if I should, how should I fix it.

I think even with this damage it was worth the price as every inch of the bass is otherwise perfect, and it sounds like a dream.

3962290114_613e5e8378.

2. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    I'd get that fixed. It will only get worse. If you are practised in drop-filling you could try doing it yourself.

I assume that the bass is not new. If it is, I would return it or have it fixed under warranty.

3. If the instrument is still under warranty, then take it to your nearest Fender repair center and get it fixed. If not, take it to your nearest Fender repair dealer and get it fixed just to be on the safe side.

4. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    That looks like the clearcoat has chipped away.Might have happened during a refret at some time? Should be a not too difficult repair.

5. kimokeo

kimokeo

Jul 7, 2009
    I would not worry about repairing it. To properly repair it, the frets would have to come out, the board stripped, refinished, and re-fretted. You would be better off buying a new neck! Just play it as it is and enjoy.

6. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    The most common reason for this damage is a player's technique. Typically, the player eschews placing the thumb on the back of the neck for a full handed "monkey grip". Couple that with rings on the left hand and it makes an efficient tool for removing lacquer from the fingerboard edge.

The damage should be repaired. If left in this state the fingerboard is subject to dirt and moisture. Just as a bare fingerboard should be treated with oil (a finish itself) a lacquered board should have a complete, tight finish. As stated by Turnaround, the correct and expedient repair is drop filling the fingerboard edge.

The frets in this fingerboard appear to be original. Observe the last few frets. The lacquer bridges up from the fingerboard over the side of the fret. While it could be that a skilled technician shot lacquer after installing the new frets in attempt to maintain historical accuracy it is highly unlikely. It is time consuming and therefore expensive. In addition, the fret ends appear to be dressed in typical Fender factory style.

7. Revvv

Revvv

Oct 31, 2007
    Georgia
    You will likely be able to find another neck for the price of refinishing. The chips that are on your neck are very high on the registry. Most players rarely get that high. I would play it until I found a neck I wanted.

There is a plus to finding a new neck. You will have a spare around, and you will be able to refinish the damage at your convenience.

That's my opinion on things anyway.

8. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    The bass is a '97 Fender American Precision Bass Deluxe, so its not new

9. I would:
    A. Ignore/play it
    B. Fill in the chips w/superglue
    Probably A.

10. I'd probably just clean the neck, then dab on some clear lacquer. It should flow enough to cover the chips.