1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Maple or Rosewood on your P-bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Outlaw_son, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Outlaw_son

Outlaw_son

Mar 8, 2007
    Omahell
    So, what do you prefer your P-bass neck to have, maple or rosewood and why?

Me personally I prefer rosewood on every other bass but Im really starting to dig the look of the "black and maple" P-basses. Never have played one though. Are maple truly brighter sounding? :confused:

2. I've always dug the look of a maple neck. My very first bass guitar was an original 1957 Fender P-Bass, black with a maple neck. Right now I'm saving up to buy an American Deluxe P-Bass, montego black with maple neck.

3. Rosewood. Maple Just looks wrong to me for some reason, but everyone has different tastes.

4. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    Mary Anne.

Bob_Ross likes this.
  5. Sleeq

Sleeq

Feb 13, 2008
    Lebanon/Kuwait
    both ;) but I'm more partial to maple!

DSC01362.
    p-basscouch.
    Pbass2.

Strung_Low likes this.
  6. TMacATK

TMacATK

Jul 9, 2008
    Davis, CA
    I have a love affair with maple.

Some P's just gotta have rosewood boards....Olympic white for example, but there ain't nothin like black and maple.

7. I keep hearing that rosewood for the fretboard is essential for "that vintage sound." Did Fender not use maple first? Hmm...

I know Pocketgroove likes maple for P-basses. Not that he told me directly... but... I tend to agree with him.:bassist:

8. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Rosewood. Just works on a P....

9. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Maple since they usually don't use rosewood too much anymore...

IMG_3220.

10. For Looks; I like them both.
    For feel; I refer the maple for practice and the rosewood for stage.

The 1950's Fender maple neck were one piece with the 'skunk stripe' down the back. The 'stunk stripe' is where they would install the truss rod. The 1960's Fender Rosewood necks were maple neck and Rosewood board and no 'skunk stripe'. Then in the 1970's, when Fender started making maple necks again, it was maple neck with a maple board and a 'skunk stripe' down the back of the neck. (CBS mass production I imagine).

tyohars likes this.
  11. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I have rosewood now and like it. Never had a problem with it. I prefer coated necks though, just makes it smoother IMO. It seems the "vintage" maples I've played have had heavy coating and I like that a ton.

12. The heavy coating gums up and slows me down on stage. I prefer a neck striped to the wood and lightly coated.

13. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    :meh: I can never decide on a firm answer to this age-old question, that's why I have to have BOTH :D ...

IMG_1170.

Tone-wise, I'd have to come down on the side of rosewood, as it's almost impossible to completely disguise the brighter "snap 'n' twang" of a maple board using the tone knob, but a rosewood board can be tamed more easily without the tone turning to mud. That's useful if (like me) you prefer a brightish tone that lets the growl to come through, but is basically quite smooth and "warm" underneath.

Maple is unbeatable for punk/new wave "clanking" though :smug: (IMHO).

14. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    Maple or Rosewood on your P-bass?

get one of each and play them both for a few years and see which one you like better ...

15. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    i dont really like P's / am yet to play one i like..
    but it depends on the colour.. i like the nat ash/maple and the white red tort guard and rosewood

16. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ

Yep. :)

[​IMG]

17. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I like maple better than rosewood all the way around. I'm not sure if it's any kind of rational choice. Two of my first three basses had maple and it got ingrained. I've got two maple boards (one on my main bass, a P), two ebony fretlesses and my BB300 has rosewood. All this being said, I could probably be happy playing the BB300 for the rest of my life, so my opinions on the matter aren't _THAT_ strong. The maple boarded Tokai is my go-to bass though.

KO

18. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I prefer maple boards generally, so if I had to pick between these for my only bass, it would by my black/black/maple. But there's something special about the warmth of rosewood combined with a split-coil pickup, so I always want both. And I agree vintage white and a tort guard require rosewood.

DSCF3123.

19. I have always been partial to rosewood. Maple feels to harsh for me, too bright and too hard, even though there is probably little to no difference in the actually strength of the wood, just my perception.

I do want to own a maple Precision neck and give it a go just to see what it is like, my highway 1, spector, and my squire p and j fretless are all rosewood.

rebirth7.

20. is that a human foot?