Marcus Miller - Books

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by BassAche, Oct 23, 2003.

1. BassAche

May 1, 2003
    Are there any transcribes books of Marcus Miller tunes? I'm particularly looking for Riofunk, but I have nothing against checking out anything else by the Miller. Thanks in advance.
  2. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
  3. BassAche

May 1, 2003
    Much thanks, man.

Next question is about Stu Hamm...Does he have any transcribed work out?

I need to work on my ear...bleh.
  4. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    If you need to work on your ear, shouldn't you try transcribing his work (i.e. Pen & Paper)?

Just a thought, no malice intended.
  5. Thonk

Sep 14, 2003
    Yep stu has a book out but it seems it's out of print atm :(

This is a great book btw and althougth id also recomend working on your ear ;)
    this book can give you a good start in how stu use's tapping/slapping so you can get your head around his style

if your uk based give the retailer james pass a call on 0121 - 643 7623
    i think i spotted a copy of this book in there the other week

as for rio funk it was transcribed by a guy named joe hubbard and can be found in his book

"Bass Lines" by Joe Hubbard also out of print :(

good luck on finding those books
    if i come across them i'll PM ya
  6. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I have a copy of the Ham book Ill sell yah.

15 bucks plus shipping?

If you look under "Books", you`ll see a book titled Super Bassist/Marcus Miller. It contains note-for-note transcriptions of his tunes. Everything from his David Sanborn collaborations up until "The Sun Don`t Lie" album. Fully tabbed, for those who are into that kind of thing. ;) The fact that it`s published in Japan may pose a small problem.
  8. BassAche

May 1, 2003
    Believe me man, I've tried. I'm gonna start with mucho easier stuff...Work up to it and all that jazz.

Good stuff. I'm going to take a look around a couple local places. If there's no luck, I'll drop you a line.
  9. Dondi

May 3, 2003
    There is a book that has a number of fusion jazz parts in it. The author's name is Joe Hubbard and I think the publisher is Hal Leonard. Rio Funk is definitely in it. It also has some of the tunes that he did with David Sanborn. I remember the transcriptions being very good.