Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

marcus miller jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kevinevinevin, Oct 4, 2005.

1. kevinevinevin

kevinevinevin

Aug 22, 2005
    i played one a while back, im looking to get my hands on one
    any comments on quality ( i have heard really good things about the 5'er)
    any pics would be appreciated, i would like to actually like to see something besides natural ( i have looked but maybe i'm stupid)

2. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    The Marcus Miller sig only comes in natural that I'm aware of, but I honestly couldn't imagine it in any other color. If you've got the dollars, you could probably find a RI around the same year of a different color.

3. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    nope it comes in vintage white and sunburst too.

looks good white IMO

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've got one in vintage white, it's yellowed a bit over five years. Also has a CIJ '57 Reissue Precision neck, so I can't comment on their necks, but the electronics and everything else are phenominal. I love the bass and it's my #1 for that reason.

5. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    My teacher's MM is this colour...
    Its some sort of grey/silver finish that actually looks pretty cool in the flesh.

6. Hi

I have original '77 jazz bass which serial number is very close to serial number of original Marcus's fender. I'm shure you know that he upgraded his '77 bass with some bartolini elctronics modified by sadowsky or something like that. The truth of his tone lies in it's pickups, vintage pickups. Considering the new MM bas, from my experience, it is obvious that it is better sounding bass than most of basses in that cost range and above. If this is your parameter, go for it. It is very well builted and balanced. BUT, if you want TRUE Marcus sound, go for '77 JB with ash body and maple fretboard.
    Marcus also claims that the sound of of new MM is similar to his original but it is not the same. Before, I thought that this is due to his new preamp that he upgraded. But, it is not because, as Marcus said, he don't use in built preamp at concerts at all, only in studios when he doesn't have adequate studio preamp. I have EBS rig and I easily get real Marcus's sound, offcourse if new strings are on.
    I hope I helped you at some way. Good luck!
    :)

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Keep in mind that the five string costs quite a bit more and is MIA, while the four string is MIJ. If you search the forums, you'll find quite a few threads about these great basses. (I own one, too.) :D