Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Marcus Miller "Power"(merged thread)

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by steve2, Dec 22, 2003.

1. steve2

steve2

Sep 23, 2001
    Piney Flats, TN
    I love the Marcus Miller song Power. I just can't think of anything more awsome. Anyway I have tried to figure part of it. He does so much in that song I decided to take the tab and my ear and try to learn it. I also recorded it about 60% normal speed so I can hear the notes better. Any one else here have any suggestions in learning it. Thanks

Steve

2. James S

James S

Apr 17, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Steve,

There is no substitue for repetition.

I do realize that this answer sounds simple and obvious however most students I know never spend the time to learn Power.

I have a few of students who can play Power very well! Every note! With the recording! Most folks simply do not want to believe the amount of practice it will take to "finish" a project like this because it is SO much work.

Steve, I assure you that if you do the work you will receive the reward.

p.s. Throw away the tab and listen to it at speed.

3. steve2

steve2

Sep 23, 2001
    Piney Flats, TN
    Thanks James for the suggestions. Especially on the Tab. What I know is all from my ear. Now since I have it slowed down and still in the same key so this should help. I will use the tab only for reference. Thanks

Steve

4. James S

James S

Apr 17, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Steve,

You want to become a good player?

Use your ear as the reference. And don't slow it down.

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    What's wrong with slowing it down? It can make the notes easier to hear.

6. steve2

steve2

Sep 23, 2001
    Piney Flats, TN
    I have listened to the song nearly 100 times and have a lot in my head. There are several times he puts in a lot of notes especially about note 9 thru perhaps around 17. (just playing in my head. One near the last part he hits 6 notes real fast. I actually have that sound in my head but seems like listening slower would be easier picking them out but I may be able to do it. I actually have about 1/2 of it worked out.

Steve

7. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    I disagree. I think slowing down the record to half tempo, and practicing the phrase yourself at half tempo, witha metronome is essential in learning a line like this.

From James S' bass teaching web site:

Very good site I must say. I read numerous little articles, all very good indeed. I think it's about time I found a teacher again :rolleyes:

8. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I like to learn songs by ear by first identifying the scales and appregios. Then I move in for the kill.

I know all the notes for the song, but I simply can't play. Just not strong enough yet. Give me another year to let my forearm muscles develop.

9. steve2

steve2

Sep 23, 2001
    Piney Flats, TN
    When I first learned bass many years ago I learned mostly Bluegrass root/5ths. Then about 3 years ago I started teaching myself not really learning scales that much or apregios. I know i should. I took about 2 months lessons from a music teacher not really a bass teacher and that really did not work out that well but i mainly play by ear. (my last teacher said I was a pattern player) Back to Power I have about 2/3 of the song down. There are something he is doing getting thoses quick short notes that I have not worked out but I will get it. I have not ever had any training on poping / slap but on this song I have to use my thumb to hit those 5 fast B notes. Anyway after playing this song or attempting to play makes me want to find a teacher that really knows advance techniques. That will probably be a harder task than actually playing the song.

10. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Me too I love Power, one of my favourite Marcus Miller songs. As having seen him live, i know that this is not only fast slap&pop (oh and you should get soem training in slap/pop, a good technique is vital!), it is also about a lot of hammer-ons. And try playing the "easier" parts now with the original tempo - to get you started.
    Good luck!

11. steve2

steve2

Sep 23, 2001
    Piney Flats, TN
    I defiently need to learn the techniques. It may be a little easier when I take the flats off. I have order a set of DR Fat Beams.

12. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    DR Low Riders do the trick. Can anyone offer a walk-through?

13. Marcelo

Marcelo

Jan 3, 2004
  14. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    There's no need to start another post.

Thank you Marcelo for the link, I put this link in the first "Power" thread.

15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    One thing that is so great about Marcus Miller is his slap lines are so melodic, it's almost like he's singing. Plus that tone... ohhhh that tone. Every note rings out clear as a bell, great technique too. Hmmm, I'd consider myself a fan. So I think if you want to figure out something complicated, Marcus is the way to go. Power is a killer tune.

I don't see anything wrong with slowing it down either.

16. Marcelo

Marcelo

Jan 3, 2004
    Somebody knows a video link of miller?

Tks for info

17. the vid section of basslobster.com should have a video of him playing jaco's teen town.