Marcus Miller w/ Herbie Hancock ?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by watspan, May 12, 2005.

1. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I've read that HH has a Headhunter's 2005 band that has marcus Miller on bass. What do you think of that pairing? I have to admit I'm not familiar w/ Marcus's work but I've been a Herbie fanatic for decades and a total Paul Jackson freak! Matt Garrison was awesome in the future 2 future DVD. Just curious what you think of Marcus with the group.
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I read that on Marcus' site this morning... I've quickly become a fan of Matt's... and the DVD smokes... but I'm looking forward to catching Marcus in Herbie's band :bassist:
  3. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    I haven't heard his most recent work, but judging by some of his more recent work, it would be nice if they recorded it live in the studio rather than use drum loops and overdubs. I really miss the rhythm hookup of Herbie's early seventies bands.
  4. Chip Boaz

Chip Boaz

Apr 23, 2004
    Should be an interesting recreation of the Headhunters. The full lineup is: HERBIE HANCOCK,
    * KENNY GARRETT (saxophone),
    * ROY HARGROVE (trumpet),
    * MUNYUNGO JACKSON (percussion),
    * LIONEL LOUEKE (guitar),
    * JOHN MAYER (guitar), and
    * MARCUS MILLER (bass).

Some great players there, should be some seriously funky fusion going on there. It would be very different than original Headhunters though. Paul Jackson was a great finger funk player, ala Rocco Prestia, Jaco, etc . . . It created a whole different groove that I think lends itself a little closer to a jazz fusion, you can really open up for improvisation and interplay using finger style playing. There are some great bootlegs that you can find sometimes that have Jaco playing bass with Herbie & the Headhunters that are just smoking! Anyways, Marcus is more of a slap player and all of his recent stuff is a little too soft jazz/pop for me. He is a heck of a musician though and I'm sure he could make this interesting. Can't wait to hear some of it.
  5. e-money

Apr 20, 2005
    +1 boaz i can't wait to hear it eather.
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That does sound like a good lineup - I like Roy Hargrove's latest stuff as well and along with Herbie, there should be some good material there - it will be interesting to hear how Marcus fits in with this, because as people have been saying - a lot of his recent stuff has been programmed beats and sort of "Jazz Lite" .....?

I'll certainly buy the album and would like to get to any London gigs if they have any .....previous Headhunters bands have come over here...:)
  7. Herbie and Marcus should be an amazing combo. I have 2nd row center seats for the Kettering show on June 9th. What I find interesting is that John Mayer (!!!!!) is playing guitar in the group. I know John is a very good guitar player, but don't think of him in those circles. I wonder if Herbie is putting a more 'pop' spin on the group and trying to sell some records!

I'll post a quick review after the concert.

PS. Marcus' new CD (Silver Rain) is worth the price just to hear his funk version of the old Edgar Winter classic Frankenstein. It's one of my all time favorite 'rock anthems' and he just plays the you know what out if it. Pentatonic heaven!
  8. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Well I know I'll get roasted for this but here goes...I haven't heard anything Marcus has done solo that has impressed me at all.

9. I am a Marcus fanatic, but am much more of a fan of his playing than his song writing, etc. So, I hear what you are saying. I came up with all that original David Sanborn stuff that he did, along with his stint with Luthor. That's some of the most innovative pop bass playing ever IMO. Most 'bass albums' are not very good IMO.... just because you are a great player (or even a great producer) does not necessarily mean you are a great songwriter. Victor Wooten's work comes to mind.... amazing playing, but he's much more interesting (IMO) within the great songwriting context of Bela's group. The two exceptions that I'm familiar with are Richard Bona's solo work (AMAZING tunes and playing) and John Pattituci's later work (you wouldn't even know it's a bass players CD).

Anyway, different opinions and taste is what keeps us all going!
  10. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Well I'm not going to roast you, please pass the heinz 57, but I believe Marcus has probobly done the best Solo Albums of any instrumental bassist sense Jaco. I'm not a huge of Silver Rain, but Marcus does have real Jazz senesibilities , just listen to his versions of "Lonnies Lament", and "Round Midnight" and "Goodbye Porkpie Hat" and "Summertime". He pulls these tunes off with an obvious understanding of where they came from and his own style. Does he have some"smooth jazz" pablum on his albums , unfortunently yes, but there not loaded with string synths and drum machines like a Bloomberg album. Plus he is a good writer, Tutu is already in the real book and he does have some strong melodys. As far as Jazz, man listen to James Carters playing on M2, you won't here anyone blow like that on a "smooth jazz" album.
  11. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    I can't argue with you there. But If you really want to hear some out-of-this-world supportive bass playing, check him out on We Want Miles (around 1982). Him along with Al Foster and Mini Cinelu cooked up some unsurpassed avant funk that do this day makes me damp with excitement.

EDIT: Also check Miles' album Star People and The Man With The Horn

12. It's been quite a while since I listened to the era of Miles' stuff with Marcus. I'm sure I have it in my collection somewhere. I'll dig it out again. Thanks for the tip.

PS I took a look at your profile and noticed the Alembic/Furmin/Crest combo you are using. Man, that's a great sounding combo of stuff. Back in the day (early 80's), that was the first modular stuff available for bass (that we knew of anyway). We all used it (I had a BGW250 powering mine). Very cool!
  13. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    John MAYER, HUH??

Also, no one will ever replace Paul Jackson, in a true Headhunters way.
  14. I've heard that Mayer was an original member of The Slip, and if anybody has the Crossroads DVD, they know that cat can rip the guitar up. I'm so excited about this, you have no idea.
  15. Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    Is Marcus in the lineup thats going to be at bonnaroo?!?!?!?

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Herbie, Marcus, and Terri Lynn??!!!...damn, that's gonna be a must have!!!
  17. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, watspan.

Does anyone know if there will be Headhunters tour dates beyond those listed on MM's Website? A Google search doesn't yield much info. I hope they play somewhere near the northeastern U.S.

I enjoy Garrison's playing with Herbie and look forward to hearing MM with the Headhunters. I can hear Paul Jackson's influence on MM's playing at times, so he seems like a natural choice. Lorenzini I agree with you: no one will ever replace Paul Jackson. He is as vital as Herbie to the original Headhunters sound.

+1 on The Man With The Horn. It's one my favorite things Marcus has ever done, and Mike Stern smokes on "Fat Time."
  18. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    KENNY GARRETT is one of my favorite players!! I've seen Marcus just tear it up with finger style funk, I think if the song calls for it, he will do it.
  19. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Wonder if PJ just isn't around anymore? Does anyone know where he plays/who he plays with now?

I'm sure MM will do a great job, but there's something PJ offered stylistically that I've never heard truly replicated.
  20. Chip Boaz

Chip Boaz

Apr 23, 2004