Marcus Miller

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Swamp_Ronin, Dec 6, 2021.

1. Swamp_Ronin

Swamp_Ronin

Jan 15, 2021
    Portland, OR
    When I was a teenager around the year 2000, I was in rural Alabama in a guitar shop and I saw an issue with bass player magazine. I was listening to a lot of Dream Theater and Rush at the time. The guy on the cover of that issue had a a cool hat, so I bought it out of curiosity. I read the interview and didn’t know any of the music he was talking about, but I thought he sounded pretty interesting, so I drove 45 minutes to special order one of his CDs because they don’t carry that stuff around there. About a month later the CD arrived, and it was M2. I’ve never heard anything like that before! You can imagine how insane I thought it was. Been following his work ever since of course.

All he was playing up in Seattle last weekend, and I’ve never seen him before so I made it up there. His band killed it!!!!

It was also a nice surprise to get to meet him. He was very gracious. E16E7794-A952-4493-B718-EA33C9CE0058.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. Swamp_Ronin

Swamp_Ronin

Jan 15, 2021
    Portland, OR
    Also I put this in the wrong forum so maybe a mod can fix that?

B-Mac and Dr. Cheese like this.
  3. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Nice! Any time I've seen interviews with him, he always seemed gracious and humble.

Ever since I heard David Sanborn's A Change of Heart (1987), and thinking "Man, that bassist is killing it!", I read the liner notes and found out it was Marcus. I actually got to see him with David on that tour, too, which was amazing. I've been following him ever since.

4. Joshua

Joshua WJWJr Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Connecticut
    One of my absolute faves. I'm especially fond of his fretless playing.

(And moved to Bassists!)

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    As someone just slightly younger than the great Mr. Miller, I have followed him ever since he was given credits on recordings. He has been an elite level player since he was a teenager. It is easy to not appreciate just how great he is since he has been around so long.

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    New Bass Player magazine just arrived. MM is on the cover.

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I'm thinking I have Hideaway...an early Sanborn record with MM. Maybe that was my 1st time hearing MM.
    Grover's Winelight I do recall. Xmas gift 1980. Bass tone is just so clean.

MM's stuff with Dave Grusin is also nice...and the Spyro Gyra stuff...and Luther...the Brecker Brothers Straphanging is a personal favourite.

The Live Miles stuff is a little more "in the face". :)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
    Swamp_Ronin, B-Mac, IamGroot and 7 others like this.
  8. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Killer Michael Brecker tune with Marcus on fretless/

9. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Remarkable player.

lowdownthump and Swamp_Ronin like this.
  10. conttador

conttador Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Swamp_Ronin likes this.
  11. Well done. I love his tune Portia which he wrote for Miles Davis

Swamp_Ronin, Wisebass and Williethump like this.
  12. jmac

jmac

May 23, 2007
    Lancaster, Pa
    There used to be a bass boutique store in Bensalem, Pa (just north of Philly). I got to attend several clinics. Marcus Miller held one. It was really good. He couldn't have been nicer. Pre-clinic he was hanging with the crowd. Post clinic he stayed until the owner kicked us out of the store. He couldn't have been nicer.

13. DRBP

DRBP Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2018
    IOWA
    me too! i saw the same tour in milwaukee. not only was marcus smoking it but hiram bullock was the guitar player at that concert and did some killer work as well. i remember david announcing a song. said it was a love song- like making love to a brick wall! and they ripped into Tintin. great show and i remember just being in awe of marcus.

14. svlilioukalani

svlilioukalani Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2012
    Seattle, Wa
    I love Jazz Alley. It’s an awesome place to see a band.

Last time I saw Marcus Miller there he was playing on Sire Bass for a while. He is a treat to see live.

lowdownthump and Swamp_Ronin like this.
  15. Snibborwocky

Snibborwocky

Oct 16, 2015
    DFW, TX
    I'm VERY jealous of you right about now, not gonna lie lol. That being said, congrats on meeting him and discovering his music the way you did. My discovery of him was a bit like yours. Way back in 1993 I was heavily into Jaco Pastorius and heard a rendition of Teen Town by some guy named Marcus Miller. Well, as you can expect, I was completely mind-blown hearing him slap that entire song. I begged my Mom to drive me to the record store and luckily they had his album "The Sun Don't Lie" which had that song on it and as I listened to that entire album, I was even more blown away with just about every track. He instantly became one of my favorite bassists and a huge influence learning the bass. He still to this day puts out amazing music and is one of the most humble and knowledgeable musicians on the planet.

16. basschanges

basschanges Unconditionally Loving Member Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    If you haven't already, read Miles' autobiography. He sings Marcus Miller's praises in a way he doesn't with almost anyone else.

Mount Rushmore electric player.

17. conttador

conttador Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Hiram Bullock!! RIP. I wish I could have seen that lineup!!!

18. Was this store called "Bass" on Street Road/Mechanicsville Road in the shopping center?

If so, I wish I knew they did clinics there as I grew up in Bensalem lol would have loved to see MM there.

Swamp_Ronin likes this.
  19. Bassiclees

Bassiclees

Nov 8, 2020
    We have Marcus Miller to thank for almost the entirety of Miles Davis' brilliant late career. Marcus dig him out of hole and got Miles to play, record and perform when nobody else could.

20. Fernando Costa

Fernando Costa

Aug 4, 2013
    Lisbon
    Yes, Marcus Miller, one of the great masters! As a curiosity, MM pedalboard in 2014. WP_20140806_003.jpg WP_20140806_058.jpg WP_20140806_042.jpg

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 28, 2022