Marcus Miller's Pickg. "snatched" from Larry Graham?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stuggi, May 20, 2007.

1. That's what I always thought it was and it makes a lot of sense. Thanks for confirming it.

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    You know it's people like you that make me laugh! Here's another good friend of Marcus Miller that lived in the same complex Marcus lived in after he moved out of Brooklyn where him and I grew up, yes Iv'e known this guy since I was 8 or 10 years old! Marcus took his place on SNL. And yes I have been to his house for dinner!!!:D Can you tell me who he is mister sarcasm? TomandI.jpg

GregC likes this.
  3. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Tom Barney!!

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Pyrohr, I always enjoy your posts, and one of the great things about TB is that we get to communicate with people who know things and have been places where we haven't. I appreciate that some one who knows MM well posts here.:cool:

5. CelinderMotoMan

CelinderMotoMan Inactive

Apr 4, 2007
    Flint, Mi.
    Tom Barney. My intent in posting in this thread was to tell the OP that I didn't feel that Marcus "stole" Grahams pickguard as the title implies. Which is such a ridiculous idea that I used sarcasm to get my point across. I'm not here to get in a pissing match with anyone so i'll edit all of my posts, romoving all sarcastic remarks. I'm glad you know some famous people.

6. I just used the word "stole" in a non-litteral meaning. I was just implying that I've never seen any other bass with a PG like MM's, and it the shocked me to se LG having the same PG since I belived that the MM PG was some kind of a one of custom from fender (pretty silly since I knew Roger Sadowsky did mod MM's bass :D). "Postmortum" borrowed would probably been a better word, but hey, cut me some slack, I'm finnish! :D

7. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The reason I posted the way I did was to shed light on the possibilty that he liked it because of Larry's bass, I tried to shed light on how he came up and had his idol's like anyone else! I don't do pissing contest and I never stated he stole the idea just that Larry did have it first! Roger modded Marcus's bass in 1982, and Larry's bass was done in the 70's (come to your own conclusion why that pickgaurd is on that bass) When he retired that famous bass he had Fender build him an exact copy of it! Why did he do that, he had a choice this time! Sometimes we all need to step back and realize that Marcus like all the other great bassist out their didn't start life out as a great bassist! I just happened to be one of those who pasted through his life in the beginning and can speak about his youngest day's as an up and coming artist.

GregC likes this.
  8. CelinderMotoMan

CelinderMotoMan Inactive

Apr 4, 2007
    Flint, Mi.
    I never said you did, I said the OP(original poster) did, as the title of the thread states.:D

9. Repost:

Read, now! :D

10. CelinderMotoMan

CelinderMotoMan Inactive

Apr 4, 2007
    Flint, Mi.
    Got it, not attacking you, just explaining myself to Marcus' freind. You know you can go in and edit your title to make it seem like you're not accusing Marcus Miller of stealing.;)

11. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    New York City
    Owner: Sadowsky Guitars Ltd.
    I created Marcus' pickguard in late 79 or early 80. It was the second bass preamp install I did and the first on a Jazz Bass. I did not know who Larry Graham was at the time and never saw any photos of him with his bass.

Marcus trusted me completely on the preamp install and did not have any input into the design. I made room for the electronics and battery with a drill press and a chisel and made the pickguard to cover it all up and provide access to the battery. Within a few months of doing Marcus' bass, I learned how to make templates and use a router and developed the method of routing from the back and creating just a small cavity for the circuit and the battery.

So in hindsight, I am embarassed at the monster pickguard I had to make for Marcus because I was so green at the time.

Roger

12. giglawyer

giglawyer Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    I always thought it was inspired by the Rickenbacker pickguard.

13. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    Roger,
    What preamp did you instal in Marcus' bass? I've read somewhere that it was a Bart, I've also read that it was something called "Star" and I've also read that it was a Sadowsky pre, but nobody knows better than you.
    TIA

14. Either way, that pick guard is now a very recognized icon for Marcus so it worked out for the better that Roger didn't have the router thing happening yet. Fate? Good fate....... And Roger Sadowsky gets on here to confirm.......... This is incredible.

Threads like this is, (other than the bicker) are what I love about talkbass. I'm always ears open to hear about amazing artists and how they got to where they are. Luthiers too for that matter. Awesome that people with this calibre are willing to take the time to share experiences.

And no disprespect meant but who is Tom Barney? I'm in kind of an isolated area here.

Thank you Pyrohr!

Very cool indeed :)

15. This is Tom Barney. :smug:

Love Mr. Sadowsky´s post, BTW.

16. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    From Steelydan.com:
    "Tom credits heredity (he is the son of the late musician Tom H. Barney) and his education (at the Crane School of Music and with bassist Bob Cranshaw) for much of his musical ability and achievement.
    But whither Tom's legendary "big bottom groove" springs, it seems that everybody wants a piece. He has recorded and performed with a veritable Who's Who of the entertainment industry, including David Sanborn, Eric Clapton, Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock, Dizzy Gillespie, George Duke, Chaka Khan, Jeffrey Osborn, Aretha Franklin, Judy Collins, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Burt Bacharach, Ice T., Al B. Sure, All Saints, Mary J. Blige, Carlos Santana, Lauryn Hill... and many others.

Tom was a member of the Saturday Night Live Band for several years in the '80s and '90s, and you may have also seen him on David Sanborn's "Night Music", "New York At Night", or any number of his turns on "Good Morning America", "The Today Show", or playing for numerous major award shows. The occasional composing and work on numerous movie soundtracks round out his stellar resume, to which the "Schatzi The Safety Bear" '00 Award is but the latest notable addition."

17. -Sam-

-Sam-

Oct 5, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Thats SOO awesome. me likey:hyper:

18. Man, this is just getting better by the post. I have that Sanborn album too. Speechless here......

I'm glad I asked who Tom Barney is now. What a monster player! Thanks for the replies. :)

Man, it's like a desert here I think. :crying:

19. Yeah, I know that, but in your later post you didn't seem to even notice my explanation, so...

Anyhow, thanks for the tip about editing the thread title, didn't think of that :D

And btw, nice to hear it from the man himself, Roger, now would you please tell us about the preamp since noone really seems to know :D

20. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    New York City
    Owner: Sadowsky Guitars Ltd.
    The first preamp I installed in Marcus' bass was made by Stars Guitars in San Francisco. It was a treble and bass boost circuit. About a year later they went out of business. They recommended I use the Bartolini TCT from that point on, which was a very similar circuit. At some point, the Stars preamp failed in Marcus' bass and I replaced it with the TCT. That is the circuit he has had ever since. In 1990 I began making my own circuit and that is what Marcus has in all of his other Sadowsky basses.

Roger

GregC likes this.