1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mark Bass 104HF vs GK 410neo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by soulwax, Sep 18, 2008.

1. soulwax

soulwax

Jun 21, 2008
    Mark Bass 104HF or GK 410neo which one as a standalone cab. I need help on which one to buy.

2. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    I've tried both, but only in a shop and with different heads.
    The Gk cab has what I hear as a 'neo like character' - those clear upper mids. It also has a sharp clear horn - great for modern sounding slap. Check out the Norm Stockton clip playing in the background of the GK website.

The Markbass cab i don't hear as a neo so much. Its barky in the mids - but more of a low mid push and growl than uppermid clarity. The horn isn't as bright. Strong low end. It really thumps in a mix. IMO this cab works better with passive basses for an old school tone than the GK... I should give them both a run again...

Also, you might want to give an indication of what amp, bass, etc you will be using and what styles you cover...

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Markbass for me, thanks.

4. Markbass has a better reputation for cabs from what I've read. My experience with GK 4x10 non-neo cabs has not been great. They just seem to lack grunt. The neo versions may be an improvement but my past experiences would lead me to look elsewhere.

5. soulwax

soulwax

Jun 21, 2008
    Thanks for the quick replies. I am using a hartke3500 for now but this will be changed shortly for more power (500watts), bass is a 98 thumb bolt-on & love it, we are an originals band with a few covers pop/rock style & it can get loud. I'm leaning more to the104hf 4ohm? as a standalone cab as it may sit better in the mix & I'm sweet for small gigs with a 210 combo. I'll try the gkneo tonight at gig but cant try 104hf out side of shop.

6. soulwax

soulwax

Jun 21, 2008
    Well we had a solid four hour gig lastnight and the GK410neo didn't cut it, was lost in the mix I had everything set flat for the first set & tweeked it just a little at a time. No good. Maybe just not enough power? Will have to go Mark Bass 104HF.

7. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I had the same problem with the markbass cab.
    Get a Bergantino and have done with it.

8. soulwax

soulwax

Jun 21, 2008
    Surely the 104hf in 4ohms as a standalone cab with 500watt head will get the job done? I just need lightweight & clean sounding that GK cab is dam heavy I expected more from it. As far as Bergantino I would trouble getting one.

9. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    The Berg Neo 410 is 4ohm and 62 lbs or so.
    You could one from Club bass in Canada and have it sent...or from a dealer in your country?
    The Epifani performer series sound good too.Not sure if you can still get it in 4ohms.
    I still like my Eden 410XLT, but sooooooheavy

10. Filip Burdon

Filip Burdon

Jan 16, 2012
    Warsaw Poland
    Bass player in https://www.facebook.com/TamamShodProg/
    I'm thinking about buying 2x212 GK neo cabs, 2x104hf markbass cabs or 2x 1048h Trace Elliot cabs to a 1001rb head. Which would siut rock/pick playin' best and will cut trough the mix?

11. Thanks for bringing this thread back from the dead. I have been looking at both cabs from the OP myself, but I have a different head.

In your case, the 212neos pair up really will with the 1001 IME.

12. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Don't have any real experience with GK NEO 410 but whoever says that 4 of GK NEO 12'' speakers lack grunt is lying through their teeth. My 412 gk neo is a monster cab that punches harder and clearer than my old Ampeg 810. 2x212 cabs will kill man! Great choice!

13. Filip Burdon

Filip Burdon

Jan 16, 2012
    Warsaw Poland
    Bass player in https://www.facebook.com/TamamShodProg/
    At the moment I'm in a situation that I'm more likely to buy the EBS Fafner II or the EBS TD 660 because I got a really nice price on them.
    I'm thinking which cab to use with them?