1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mark Bass Cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by IamGroot, Jan 26, 2018.

1. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    So I am Lazarus, raised from the dead after 10 years overseas, coming back to play bass. Actually I practiced pretty consistently through an unamplified Beatle Bass and a Guitar.
    But I am totally out of the loop as far as what is new and better for gear.

I have a Mark Bass Little Mark II 300W through 8 ohm which I really loved for a variety of low to mid volume gigs (Jazz, Motown, Classic Rock, Church Gigs). I also have a GK 1001RB which is 750W at 4 Ohm and don't use much. 4/5/6 player but mostly 4/5. No more upright.

I have a several cabs, the best being an Aguilar 2x10, but its heavy for an old man.

So what are light weight options (1x15 or 2x10) that have good sound? I have lusted after Bergatino in the past. Years back, I tried a MB 2x10 with a subwoofer that sounded very good, but the stuff looks overpriced.

Also how do people perceive Mark Bass today?

I have two auditions this weekend. The Mark Bass through the Ag stills sounds great. Its just too heavy.

2. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    I went with Avatar Neos, light weight, orange tolex. Cheaper than all get out, durable, have rocked mine for 3-4 years.

I have the 80hm 2x10 and 2x12 cabs. That being said I am looking for a 4x10 MB cab....life's funny, neh?

3. If weight isn't a problem (which I realise it is) then the Bergantino HD210 is the best 210 I have played through. Therefore I reckon the lightweight HDN210 at 33lbs is likely to be as good as any neo cab, but is pricey. Your LM2 is the standard by which all other Markbass heads are judged, so please don't be tempted to trade it for something "newer and better", because without spending a load more it won't be. It's also a genuine 500 watts minimum at 4 ohms which will cover any gigs where 210 or 115 alone or together are sufficient.
    I have owned many Markbass cabs and thought they sounded great with my LM3 and my other Markbass heads. For my lightweight rig I now gig with my LM3 with either one or two Markbass NY121P cabs. Volume wise this rig is almost as loud as my Markbass STD104HF cab. The NY121P could also be an option, although a little narrow for your GK head.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  4. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    Many brands have jumped on the lightweight thing - Aguilar offers a 112, 212 and 410 in the SL Version by now.

Back then, Markbass had the reputation to build amplifiers that are light, loud and yellow. I know in my youth whenever I saw some bassamp that looked way too small for the application - when it had yellow speakers I somehow knew it'll be loud .
    Their cabs are quite direct, some say they sound honky - I find them very punchy and unforgiving (which can be good and bad at the same time). For my taste, they lack a bit of warmth.

The train to lightweight town is lead by small cabinet companies or builders such as barefaced, greenboy designs (fEARless & fEARfull) and Audiokinesis. All of these will build you a 112 cab below 25lbs that is a back-saving one hand carry AND loud enough for playing rock (as long as we don't talk about 100W + 412 guitars that crank it and a hardhitter on the drumseat). If you like the sound of your Aguilar cab and are set on 2x10, barefaced has one that is a lot lighter and a lot louder.

5. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    Thank you all for your feedback. A decade ago, I tried Bergatino's and got immediate gear lust. If I can get a paying gig, I know what I will be getting