1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mark Hoppus Is The Man

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by MammaryVest, Mar 6, 2008.

1. MammaryVest

MammaryVest

Oct 18, 2006
    Stoneham, MA
    Mark Hoppus is a huge musical influence on me. He is the reason that I put a Seymore Duncan Pick up in my Precision. Most people can't really understand what a musical player he is without listening to Blink 182's untitled album, which is understandable, because he doesn't really shine on their earlier albums, but can we agree that it's ok not to be in your prime right off the bat? Were you? Well, I'm rambling, so he just gets this thread because he deserves it, and anyone who wants to can contribute.

2. Lucas G

Lucas G

Jan 14, 2007
    masury, OH
    is this another one of those threads like the pickguard screws again?

3. Doc Labyrinth

Doc Labyrinth

Nov 21, 2007
    New Jersey
    Mr. Wiggles the Worm
    mark hoppus recorded my friend's band's latest album. let's just say he wasn't the easiest guy to work with. also, to be honest, i'm all about simplicity, and i love punk, but i'm not that into pop rock and i can't see any appeal in his playing.

4. bassmasta05

bassmasta05

Jun 14, 2006
    mark hoppus is my favorite musician and is a hero to me.

His music is very simple I will admit, but with blink 182, he mastered the ability to write the most catchy music possible.

5. dreadheadbass

dreadheadbass

Dec 17, 2007
    england
    i'm not a fan but i'm not gonna resort to slating the guy either
    if he gets a new generation on kids playing bass instead of becoming rappers then he's ok in my books i guess but blink182 aint my cup of tea at all

6. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    for any and all Blink haters (or those who haven't listened to Blink, ever)
    give the self-titled album a listen.
    it's very straight rock, with some surprising variety and tasty licks from all three members.
    we all know that Travis Barker is a crazy awesome drummer. and let's be honest, we don't know of anyone who can work with a crazy awesome drummer and not get any better.
    Mark Hoppus got better, and he's actually very good, as is showcased by the s/t album.

(i'm not a crazy pop punk fan. i can't stand anything on the radio these days, or for the last 10 years, just about. i just know that Mark is better than he gets credit for)

7. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    Self-Appointed Ambassador to the Dragonfly
    Meh, I really don't like the album. I don't who was singing or playing guitar but they both, or him, blow. Travis and Mark were both too busy. Too busy for a good groove, and not an impressive virtuoso busy either.

TBQH/IMHO/YMMV

8. the_fonz

the_fonz

Nov 27, 2006
    Kane, PA
    he made catchy music
    and at the end of the day, that's all that really matters

9. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    Self-Appointed Ambassador to the Dragonfly
    I think Blink-182 had multiple things in each song which ruined its 'catchiness'.

TBQH/IMHO/YMMV

10. doog

doog

Jun 26, 2007
    I remember watching a travis barker video and at the end hoppus said

"f@ck I can barely play my instrument haha"

so, I dunno man

11. RedemptionBass

RedemptionBass

Dec 12, 2007
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Head (and only) Honcho at Redemption Bass
    So......if I was to drip the blood of Mark Hoppus on my bass, it would make it lighter, right?

12. LuckyPants

LuckyPants

Mar 7, 2008
    Dublin
    Mark Hoppus is very very good, not everyones favourite type of music but a lot of his bass lines are great see Carousel or Man Overboard.

13. Martin1989

Martin1989

Sep 30, 2007
    Hes not a good bass player at all, he writes catchy songs but thats more to do with the singing. I don't mind Blink but they do get very repetitive, they always seem to have these big breakdowns in the popular songs where the drums will do a fancy beat with the toms and then the music will build up into the last chorus.

14. worker201

worker201

Mar 21, 2008
    Temporarily, TX
    It seems like Blink-182 might have sold their souls. Their first album, "Cheshire Cat" was excellent, one of the "classics" of pop punk (if that's even possible). After that, though, it's like some A&R guy got to them and said "You's guys are catchy and talented, but you could be millionaires. Do exactly what I tell you and you will have like 5 best-selling albums and get laid every night." Can't really blame them for jumping at such an opportunity. But I think the overproduction and the radio-friendly homogenization made them into a completely different band. The energy and humor of the first album have been lost for all time.

15. Mark hoppus would probably read all you hater's posts and laugh.

He's made millions by playing his bass 'simply', yet writing amazing catchy songs.

All you people that can play 79 notes a second with all your crazy techniques slapping etc, but yet you can't write a decent song for sh*t.

Stop hating and play.

16. Relax dude... no one's hating. They're simply offering their opinions. It's o.k. to like or not like a band, it's really not that big of a deal. :rolleyes: Most people have just he's not a very technically advanced player or that they just aren't that into that type of music. That's not hating or slamming anybody.

I really don't think Hoppus is a great player but I do think he's a good song writer. It's really really hard to write catchy three chord songs and get your album bought by millions of people. I don't care what anyone says.... it is, or we'd all be doing it. Not that great technically but very good at song writing.

17. Groove? They're in a bloody pop punk band.

Hoppus is kinda cool though, bass playing doesn't need to be any good in pop punk, the odd times he does fills and lines they're cool though. Love his later tone though, one of the best bass tones in punk easily if not the best, dunno how much he had to do with getting it though, probably much more to do with engineers and techies messing about until they found something he liked, guess he can take credit for deciding that that awesome tone was what he wanted though :p

18. Sam McLoughlin

Sam McLoughlin

Jul 8, 2009
    Dublin
    This was well put. I don't think much of him in terms of playing, but for getting kids into playing bass, he's got to be close to the top of the list beside guys like Flea.

19. I honestly can't tell by the Blink tunes that I've heard in the radio whether Hoppus is a good player or not, but I like the songs.

20. pigsonthewing

pigsonthewing

Jul 7, 2009
    Old York
    Personally, I like Mark Hoppus. I know a lot of people don't like his playing, but it sounds good with he style of music that Blink plays, and "Carousel" is a pretty good bass intro. I think he has the best bass tone in the Punk-ish realm. And to top it off he doesn't just play exactly what the guitar plays the whole time, like a lot of punk bands, he does his own thing. Plus, like many others, he got me into playing bass, and I started out by playing almost all Blink. And it's a lot of fun to play :)