Markbass 102P Combo's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brown Shark, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Does anyone know if there is a difference between the original Marbass 102P Combo (the one with the Little Mark head) and the current model (with the Combo head) - specifically in relation to power/watts? I cant seem to find spec's on the original anywhere!

I have an opportunity to grab one of the orignals from interstate in the next day or so, but have also just found a newer combo locally. Decisions!
  2. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004
    sorry can't help with the orignal;but i have the latest brochure that i picked up in toronto at clubbass on friday,specs for the current cmd 102p are:2x10 piezo tweeter,400w rms,frequency response 40hz to 18khz,cab sensitivity 101,impedance 8ohms,weight 20 kg.i was there to check out lakland basses and dave was kind enough to plug me into a little mark+104hf 410 sweet!!hope this helps :)
  3. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    The old (red or yellow face) Little Mark head puts out 280 watts into 8 ohms and 450 into 4ohms.
  4. Thanks guys, a bit more searching has led me to find that apart from the power difference (450 watts in the original at 8ohm, 400 in the newer model), the control panel on the amp head has changed a bit. The current Combo head has the XLR, Tuner Out, Effect Send/Return moved to the rear (under a very cool removable top panel) and also has an addition of a VPF Filter dial, which apparently acts as a high mid boost.

While the extra power might be nice, I think my prefernce is towards the more simple layout of the current CMD102P Combo. Stay tuned for a review :hyper:
  5. Well I picked up the combo from the store on Saturday afternoon but couldnt get it going until Sunday morning (sleeping one year old son!). My main concern was would this combo have enough headroom without an extension cab plugged in. Sunday morning rehersal comes around and after about fifteen minutes EQíng, I was set to go. I was playing my Stingray 5 into my pedalboard, using a SABDDI as the link out to the amp and XLR out to FOH, as I wasnt sure if the XLR in the head was pre or post EQ.

With the combo in the monitor position on the floor in front of me, the first thing I noticed was how clearly I could hear my bass. I started with everything at twelve o clock and ended up turning the gain and master back to about eleven o clock, as the combo was PLENTY loud on its own (without ane extension cab), to the point of blasting the drummer. The piezo tweeter has a nasty hiss when the highs are above 12 o clock, so I backed this back to about 10 o clock, with everything else flat, and this fixed it. The tone shaping options VLE (Vintage Loudspeaker Emulator) and VPF (Variable Preshape Filter) are very effective, but I found the VPF dial added the hiss back into the tweeter, so I turned it off. But the VLE is great, adds some nice warmth to the tone without being overbearing - I ran this at about three o clock.

Playing with this combo at my feet was great - the clarity and definition of the sound was amazing, with plenty of headroom left to spare. I had my head down qute a bit admiring the tone and the great looking orange speakers! I was playing in a band with a loud guitarist and drummer, keys, percussion, acoustic guitar and three vocalists, and found it to be easier for me to hear myself than when I have played the same room with my ABM500 head and two 410 cabs. Being only 20kg made the load in and out with the combo much easier too.

As of this morning, I am a fully fledged Markbass owner, dropping two clams on it at my local music store. I feel this amp is going to serve me well for the majority of my playing over the next few years. My only problem now is - what to do with my existing rig (Ashdown ABM500 head, Sovtek 410 cab, Hartke 115 cab)? My wife is also asking this question!