1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MARKBASS & A STINGRAY5

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jonandpug, Apr 24, 2009.

1. HIYA FOLKS,
    IVE OWNED FOR LAST TWO YEARS A MARK BASS OUTFIT, 1X15X AND 2X10 AND A 400 TOP. ITS BEEN VERY GOOD RIGHT FROM THE START,POWERFULL/GREAT SOUND/LIGHT....VERY LIGHT....NOW IM THINKING OF GETTING A AMPEG RIG,MAYBE A 4X10 OR SOMETHING,POSSIBLY EXCHANGING IT,NOT SURE,CAN ANYONE PUT ME RIGHT IN SAYING THAT THIS GEAR IS THE ULITMATE MONEY CAN BUY ?.......I SUPOSE DEEP INSIDE I FANCY A CHANGE,.....ANY VIEWS ON THIS AT ALL ?
    I USE A STINGRAY 5 AND PLAY EITHER PUBS/CLUBS/WEDDINGS COUPLE TIMES A WEEK.

MIND YOU I COULD BE HAVING A MIDLIFE CRISIS !!!!!! JON

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Hello!

First, turn that cap lock off:) On these kind of forums, that is the same thing as shouting in a conversation.

Ampeg is of course a fine brand, but in general, the cabs are VERY heavy and the heads are voiced more for a 'rock' type tone than the more pure, clean, and somewhat transparent tone of the most of the Markbass heads.

I'm not sure what a 'Markbass400 is', so not quite sure what you have.

If you don't mind weight, and want a tone a bit darker and more aggressive than the typical Markbass rig, an Ampeg rig might work out fine. You should be aware, though, that Ampeg was recently bought by a large company, and is no longer produced in the U.S.. This isn't, by definition, a bad thing, but a lot of longtime Ampeg fans are not too happy.

3. mat666

mat666

Apr 3, 2007
    montreal
    I would say stay with your rig as I have the same thing markbass + stingray and I couldnt be happier with my tone and I play heavy metal to rock/pop band. I think if you really want something new and think about ampeg you should wait for the new LMtube from markbass

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Maybe just get yourself a nice combo amp, and keep your Markbass rig. It's not Ampeg, but a Mesa Walkabout Scout 12 certainly helped ease my midlife amp crisis.

5. Slim Louis

Slim Louis

Apr 11, 2008
    Almost Memphis TN
    Fat Tone Bass Pick Ups & MojoSonic speaker Cabinets
    I just bought a Mark Bass R500 and I love it! I am so pissed off and upset with AMPEG, I don't know what to do! Have a rarely used SVT 4Pro, still under warrenty. Sat at the local authorized Ampeg rapair shop for nine months. Shop owner is going throuh some kind of emotional meltdown, tells me, and I quote, "It's just an amplifier, I really don't care!" So I called Loud Technologies which just bought Ampeg, and Mackie, and others, no response, no e-mail address, talked to the manager of the store where I bought it, sorry, can't really help you! Nothing! Now what do I do with this thousand dollar boat anchor!. Stick with the Mark Bass, my friend!

6. maybe i should.....thanks !

7. capps fully off now,....and no,i wasnt aware ampeg was taken over,but thanks for the info all the same. thanks jon

8. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    Words to live by. ;)

9. I bought an LMII last year to go between my SR5 and an Epi 310 cab. I'm more than happy with the combination.

10. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    I disagree. I've been playing heavy metal and hard rock for years, Ampeg is terrible. If by "darker and more aggressive" you mean boomy, indistinct, and perpetually buried, then yeah I guess so. I don't think I'll ever stop using MarkBass.

11. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I'm also a Markbass fan, and I've never enjoyed any of Ampeg's products myself. I was just trying to give the OP a feel for what most (IMO) believe Ampeg is about.

I try not to say something 'sucks' just because I don't personally dig it.

12. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    Yeah, didn't mean to come off overly harsh there. It's just that I bought an Ampeg because of it's reputation and suffered through a lot of bad gigs with it for years as a result.

13. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I use a Stingray 5 through a Little Mark II, with a Bag End S-15XD and a Bag End S-15LD and it's fantastic! I couldn't ask for a more cutting and clear tone.