1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Markbass Classic 152 2x15 Bass Cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Marko 1, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    I may have found a good deal on a Markbass CL152, “classic” 2x15 cab, probably doesn’t go very low, but that may be okay in a live setting.

Impedance: 4 ohms
    Speaker size: 2x15"
    Bass ports: Rear
    Tweeter: Defeatable 1" compression driver with custom horn
    Power handling: 800W RMS AES standard)
    Crossover frequency: 3.5kHz
    Frequency response: 50HZ–20kHz (to 5kHz with horn off) Sensitivity: 103 dB SPL
    Weight: 73 lb.
    Dimensions: 23-2/5" W x 32-1/5" H x 18-9/10" D

I googled and TB-searched, but not much for reviews. Apparently these weren’t very popular.

Thing is I’ve been kinda wanting a 215 for some reason, maybe because I don’t have one. I know I don’t want a heavy cab, and I don’t want to spend much since I don’t really need it.

This would be for gigging bars, full PA support, loudish stage volume at times, classic rock, country, oldies, blues. I’m using TC Electronic BG500 115 combo right now, and although gets pushed a bit at times, basically does the job pretty well... I just like switching stuff up once in a while to break up the monotony.

I would be using either a GK MB500 or a Line6 HD400 head.

This particular cab has some cosmetic flaws, but let’s assume it works fine.

They originally sold for $899 and I can get one for $480ish.

I know there are better 2x15, but the price and weight is what caught my attention.

I’m basically asking if this seems like a good deal, and of course any personal experience with this cab.

Thanks so much.

:)

2. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Seems like a good deal, if the speakers are ok. But, why not just add another 115 to what you have? That way you'd have an option, and neither would weigh 78 lbs. by itself. I know it would cost more, but that's just the way I think. I'm running a 115 now with another one coming as soon as I save up for it. BTW, the Markbass 2x15 has been discontinued, I believe, on the website.

3. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    My TC combo won’t accept an extension cab, otherwise that's exactly what I'd do.

I also have a GK MB500 that I’d like to use again since it’s just sitting in a case. The cab I bought for it (212MBE) needs some repair and I’d like something a bit more rugged.

That Markbass has discontinued, this one has been used.

4. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead!

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Sweet...2x15's = the bomb

5. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I see. I agree that two 15s will sound great, no matter one cab or two.

6. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Funny, I’m not as concerned about the lows as much as volume potential. I just want to know that if I’m in a loud situation, like when the gui**** goes off, I can crank it without worrying about blowing anything. The MB500 head beat the 212MBE into a rattle trap, so I want something that’ll do loud and not sweat it.

My BG500 combo I'm using gets pretty loud, and I’d like this to be able to at least get louder with less stress than that. Again, with a GK MB500 head or a Line6 HD400.

I’m guessing since this “classic” doesn’t go real low, it might actually be louder than one that does. I wish someone had some experience so they can tell me.

7. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Check the speakers' sensitivity rating, if you can. 100db up would be pretty loud, I think. It would also give you more headroom on your amp.

8. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    “Sensitivity: 103 dB SPL”

Well, I hit it. Used from MF, $553.99, minus $48.96 (givethegift) and $54.40 (retailmenot), plus $48.96 shipping for 483.28 to my door.

Like I said, I wanted a 2x15, light-weight and reletively compact for gigging, and at a good price… I just hope I like the cab.

:)

9. Congratulations!! :D

I played 15's throughout the 70s and most of the 80s before switching to the 10s......there are still times when I feel the urge to switch back........

10. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Congrats. Let us know, please.

11. Yes they have. However a redesigned cab with 2x15 with a tweeter - that has a on/off switch is now on the market. Mark Bass went from a black front cover to gold. GC has it for $950. Mike B.