1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MarkBass CMD 121P or Gallien-Krueger 800RB?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Minawasay, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Minawasay

Minawasay

Sep 16, 2018
    So, I’m primarily a guitarist but I’ve been itching to further explore the bass. I currently have a Fender Precision Bass Plus (I’ll probably change the pickups), and I’m on the prowl for a portable bass amp. The style I’m mainly going for is in the realm of neo-soul/R&B and some of my favourite bassists are Esperanza Spalding, Meshell Ndegeocello, Pino Palladino, Sam Wilkes.. and I just recently got into Michael League’s work with Snarky Puppy.

These are my two choices so far;

MarkBass Mini CMD 121P

Gallien-Krueger 800RB head + Ampeg SVT15E cab

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction..

2. TexasRock

TexasRock

Sep 14, 2018
    South Texas
    I have a Markbass CMD 102 P that I have played through for 10 years. I has never missed a lick and sounds just as good as it did the day I bought it. Thousands of hours of abuse with everything from Maiden to Hank Williams Sr. has gone through those 2 yellow speakers (and an occasional La Bamba, lol).

3. Mertle72

Mertle72 Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2013
    Missouri
    Both MB and GK are great TONE WISE! MB has a very full rich tone like no other. The GK is going to be a lot brighter, but both are very versitle. I owned a CMD102P- mother board blew up, I then bought a GK 210 combo and it’s not let me down yet......loved the MB TONE, I'll try another MB some day.