Markbass Littlemark rocker - Speculation/intrigue

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Captain Marvel, Feb 8, 2010.

1. As I've been a fan of Markbass stuff for a while now and also play lots of rock/metal so this amp has my interest.

Not sure what to expect from the tube drive (tests will tell on that) but is anyone else surprised at the lack of the VPF control? I have always found the VPF much more usefull in getting a rockier tone than the VLE, if not offering both it seems to me that its got the wrong one.
    Anyone else thinking this? I am merely speculating but I see this as a potential silly flaw.

2. grifff

grifff

Jan 5, 2009
    Towson, Maryland
    AFAIK the VPF is essentially a mid scoop which would account for the rock tone. I don't use either of the shaping knobs and I love my LMTube800 anyway. I don't really see the lack of that knob as a flaw.

3. Sifl

Sifl

May 14, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Will this replace my need for a Sansamp with my LMII?

4. I noticed this. The vpf is the only knob I use ony lm3. I was thinking of going for a lm rocker but the lack of that knob seems strange.

5. Interesting. I would think just the opposite. The VPF is all about scooped mids, extended low end, and extended sizzle/upper treble. That would be the LAST thing most 'rock' players would want. That filter is not included in the R500 either, which is voiced toward a more grindy, punchy, old school, slightly 'distorted' rock tone.

Even I don't use the VPF (ever at this point... except at low levels with VERY mid voiced cabs), and I'm a pop/funk guy:bag: I do find the VLE somewhat useful when I'm using a bass without a passive tone control.

6. My guess is, that's the logic of it.

7. I suppose its down to what era of rock tone you're aiming for, I certainly hear lots of mid scooping going on in modern rock and metal. I'm eager to see how the tube drive will affect the tones you can get out of this head - if it can provide a LM with built in Sansamp sound I will be both surprised and over the moon with joy!

8. You'd think so, but, no. I don't get it either.

9. +1 and good point. I definitely have a 'non metal' rock orientation.

That being said...remember, if you look at the VPF plots in the manual, you can get 90% there by boosting the bass control, cutting the low mid control and boosting the treble control.... those three EQ knobs line up VERY closely with the frequencies boosted and cut by the VPF with that single knob.

10. woodyng

woodyng

Dec 19, 2007
    Oregon coast
    i have been eyeing the little mark 2 tube amp,which gc carries for about $699,IIRC. this "rocker" seems to be spec'd to be a slightly streamlined version of that amp (same power ratings),so anyone know what it's going to be priced at? i never used either of the filters when i had my markbass combo cmd121p. i loved that combo,but sold it and would really like to try out the head with different cabs,and love the idea of a handy tube channel dial-in......

11. TonyRockyHorror

TonyRockyHorror

Nov 25, 2009
    I think I'll wait for the LMk Rocker 800 :D

12. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    Or F-800 Rock !

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    almost makes me wish i didn't already have a lmii. almost.

14. TonyRockyHorror

TonyRockyHorror

Nov 25, 2009

F 800 Rocker?

Brilliant!

Can't wait for Namm 2011!

15. What exactly are the differences in the Rocker and LMTube?
    All I can see by the photos are the elimination of the second variable input, VPF, & mute.

Anyone heard the price?

16. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    I think the tube gain stage would be designed for drive, instead of warmth. (more saturation at lower drive levels). But that's just what I THINK.

17. Peter Murray

Peter Murray Commercial User

Dec 13, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Currently doing marketing and artist relations work for Xvive, and product videos for Markbass
    This is correct. The tube preamps on our other heads are not designed for distortion.
    The tube drive section on the Little Mark Rocker 500, however, gives you anything from light overdrive to full-on fuzz, depending on how you have the gain and the tube drive set.

PM

18. xjeremiahx

xjeremiahx

Apr 19, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    No longer a slave to GC.
    what's the price tag on one of these? this sounds like the head i've been dreaming of! no more 80 lb. sunn heads for every gig!

19. Id be very interested in sound clips....

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 28, 2021